Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #1
kristina24nc
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to kristina24nc
01 Z24 vibrating really bad @ 2200 rpm+

I have a 01 Cavalier Z24 2.4l POS! I bought the car less than a year ago with 28000 mi. and so far I have replaced two window motors, the battery, the left rear hub assy. and now I have yet another problem. The car now has 46k on it. Sitting with the car in park if I rev the motor to 2200 rpm or higher it starts vibrating really bad. You can feel the vibrating mostly in the floor board and steering wheel but not so much under the hood of the car... (with your hand on the valve cover) You can feel it going down the road also but not so much. I had the dealer check it out and they say it's normal but this just started a few weeks ago. I had my brother check it out while on vacation to visit him and he thinks it may be the tranny? But I didn't have time to let him further diagnose it. It has an automoatic transmission. Has anyone heard of any problems with these or could someone offer me a hypothisis on what it might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Kristina
kristina24nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:21 PM   #2
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie
Re: 01 Z24 vibrating really bad @ 2200 rpm+

hmm.... all motors shake a bit. Could have a premature shot motor mount... buy a new GM one or RKsport carries aftermarket ones to reduce play in the motor... but you will feel more vibrations becuase all the energy is transfer through the frame... I have bad vibrations in my car while accelerating but i'm almost sure its due to having blown struts from the shitty lowering springs i put on OEM struts... and it only occurs at certain torque levels... but thats not your problem... check those motor mounts first.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
93_R/T_TT_Stealth
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via MSN to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth Send a message via Yahoo to 93_R/T_TT_Stealth
ya i would go with what he said - an check the all the mounts for things like rot in the rubber , being bent, cracked things of that origin... an if u dont see anything grab the top of the engine an try shakin while its off too see if it moves much, then start it up an get out open the hood - gas it a bit while ur watching it ,pull the arm on the trottle body a bit an see if the it shakes bad or abnormal - if so ya prob. got a bad one but its not being visible - But - if not an everything looks cool - then i would have someone check over the entire exhaust system from the header back an check for small or big cracks - holes an what not.... ya never know - my boss had a wierd noise on his truck an he said he just put a new muffler an cat on it so i was curious - i looked it all up an down - i come to find he has 2 serious cracks on the bottem neck of his headers both in the same spot he musta hit a bad bump an flexed the whole body alot an "snap" - it can happen really easy in the cold before they are warmed up good - so i changed both headers on it bolted the down pipes on an started it up - he said "damn" my truck was hurtin for some headers bad huh? - i laughed an said yep - u can add that to this weeks pay check ....

Good Luck!
hope ya find ur problem!

93_R/T_TT_Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:02 AM   #4
KRI Motorsports
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to KRI Motorsports
Re: 01 Z24 vibrating really bad @ 2200 rpm+

yeah ^^^ that's what I was going to suggest, checking the motor mounts. Make sure they are all tight.

KRI Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis