Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 04:48 PM   #1
roblowsta
AF Newbie

Angry '01 Tahoe issues...brake system/emergency brake...rear wiper fluid...

I have a '01 Tahoe and I had the rear brakes changed 4 times during the two years I've had the truck. The second time I had them changed they told me that the emergency brake was worn, I needed new rotors and my driver's side caliper was bad. Because the emergency brake was worn they insisted that I was driving on it and in turn destroyed the calipers and denied my claim to cover the costs. Only an idiot drives on the emergency brake and doesn't realize it so I guess that's what they assumed I was. I paid the 1300 dollars to have everything fixed and my brakes wore down again in only three months. GM has told me that they know nothing of this issue...have you?

My rear wiper motor wont emit the wiper fluid. Where can I look to trace the hose?

Help me before I run my truck that I love so much off of a cliff and say good riddins. Thanks everybody.
roblowsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:35 PM   #2
tdonovan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tdonovan Send a message via Yahoo to tdonovan
Re: '01 Tahoe issues...brake system/emergency brake...rear wiper fluid...

I feel for you too, I have the same year Tahoe and have problems with the parking brakes. I think its a design problem. We need either GM to realize or an aftermarket solution. On the rear wiper fluid my hose fell off, its located on the drivers rear near the filler tuber for the gas tank. I saw it one night when following my wife home, and then she mentioned the rear fluid was not working. What a surprise to find the hose sliped off ;(
tdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
kozak
AF Newbie

01 tahoe rear brakes

In June of 03 took the tahoe in because I had no parking/emergency brake and was told everthing on the rear brakes would have to be replaced, calipers, pads & rotors for a lot of money, then found out from my niece (a warranty rep at a GM dealership) that GM has a recall on the emergency brake as they are defective and self destruct damaging the rear brake system. Told the dealer about the recall and the service manager then apologized for trying to charge me and fixed it all for no charge. This is one of those secret recalls that dealers don't tell you about unless you tell them.
kozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #4
RSGSRSRS
AF Newbie

'01 Tahoe issues...brake system/emergency brake

I have had the same problem 2x. GM paid for it the second time -- new brake drums rusted in less than a year -- destroying the emergency brake, one caliper and the disc brake pads as well. The problem is the rear drum is made of a metal that rusts prematurely. The rust causes the emergency brakes to wear and malfunction. Since the disc brake rotor is built onto the inside edge of the drum, it also affects the disc brakes, calipers, etc. I had cracked disc brake pads because of this.

This defect also causes the e-brakes to drag when you drive, making a rubbing sound. You have to stop the caar, reset the brake once or twice to stop the noise.

NB: When the mechanic pointed out the rust, and asked me if I back my truck into lakes in order to launch boats, I almost lost it. I don't own a boat. Luckily the manager was there and contacted GM. This sounds like a "secret warranty".

Another issue:
Has anyone had any issues with front and rear drive gears. Apparently the Auto 4WD feature is not very functional, and wears the gears, causing them to whine, loudly. GM covered a full replacement two years ago (post warranty), Guess what -- the front end is starting to make the same noise again.

I'm getting sick of the defects -- getting a Toyota SUV next. They're bullet proof.
RSGSRSRS is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K