Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discussion about performance modifications and issues.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
s2000FREAK
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to s2000FREAK
Exclamation ok really weird garbage i saw online about the skyline!!!

ok ive been readin and looking for info on the new upcoming r35(as would any enthusiast about that car). anyways i saw a bunch of ppl sayin the skyline and the infinity g35 are one and te same! i think thats a bunch of bull s**t. i see no relation between them AT ALL!!! if some1 knows y theyre sayin this plz enlighten me or if u think this is bull also plz sare id like to send the responces to those ingrates...if theyre wrong of coarse, otherwise its just something else i could learn about my favorite car!!!

also one more thing.....if im in an auto cross race wat modle skyline should i choose, gtr r34 right? im tryin to learn as much about them as i possibly can but its hard to find straight information on the web these days!
s2000FREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:48 AM   #2
RazorGTR
Skyline Man

Re: ok really weird garbage i saw online about the skyline!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000FREAK
ok ive been readin and looking for info on the new upcoming r35(as would any enthusiast about that car). anyways i saw a bunch of ppl sayin the skyline and the infinity g35 are one and te same! i think thats a bunch of bull s**t. i see no relation between them AT ALL!!! if some1 knows y theyre sayin this plz enlighten me or if u think this is bull also plz sare id like to send the responces to those ingrates...if theyre wrong of coarse, otherwise its just something else i could learn about my favorite car!!!

also one more thing.....if im in an auto cross race wat modle skyline should i choose, gtr r34 right? im tryin to learn as much about them as i possibly can but its hard to find straight information on the web these days!
Unfortuneatly Nissan bastardized the Skyline name with that new piece of shit called a G35. Yes it is one and the same. However it has no relation to the nexgen GTR.

Why an R34 GTR? What is wrong with an R32 GTS4, R32 GTS-t, R32 GTR, R33 GTS25t, R33 GTR, R34 GT-T?
Never confuse kindess with weakness.
AF user guidelines, Please remember to abide by them
RazorGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
s2000FREAK
AF Newbie

so basically a skyline gtr r34 and an infinity g35 coupe are exactly the same in every aspect of the engine? heh idda never saw that comin! but if they really are the same then that means the g35 can take as much boost punishment as a r34 can....I.E. TURBOS PLUS NOS W/O BLOWIN THE ENGINE. IF SO THATS PRETTY COOL AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH. SO ALL ID HAVE TO DO TO MAKE IT LIKE THE SKYLINE IS ADD THE TWIN TURBOS AND THEYD HAVE THE SAME POWER? HEH INTERESTING! ALSO I DUN LIKE THAT NEW UPCOMIN R35, THEY KILLED THE LOOK OF IT ENTIRELY IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE A SKYLINE! I HOPE THEY MAKE UP FOR IT PERFORMANCE WISE!!!!!!!!

****i dunno u tell me.....like i said im new to the skyline specs and im quite clueless. i need to know which would be the best(asuming money isnt an option) for an x-cross race.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #4
GTR_in_SF
AF Regular

Re: Re: ok really weird garbage i saw online about the skyline!!!

Quote:
so basically a skyline gtr r34 and an infinity g35 coupe are exactly the same in every aspect of the engine? heh idda never saw that comin! but if they really are the same then that means the g35 can take as much boost punishment as a r34 can....
No, they are not the same at all...

The Infinity G35 is the next generation skyline... In Japan, they still call it the Nissan Skyline, but they sell it here in the US as an Infinity G35...

The engines are not the same... the R32 GTR, R33 GTR and R34 GTR all have the RB26DETT (inline 6) engine, while the G35 has the VQ35DE (V6)engine... there are a ton of other differences such as AWD (ATTESA), 4-wheel steering (HICAS) and a bunch of other goodies in the GTRs that are not on the G35... the closest thing you could buy right now is the new G35X, which will come with the AWD, but for the next GTR, you'll have to wait til 2007...
GTR_in_SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:56 AM   #5
s2000FREAK
AF Newbie

thats wat i thought cause i read that the g35 is an american remake of the r34 which i thought was pure bull shit.....but the next skyline im not a big fan of. i mean everything is good except the new look which isnt all that important but the rumor is that itll be a v6 not an inline-6 which sux ass. i hope its just a rumor otherwise ill stick w/ a r34.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
The upcoming "R35" GT-R is not the Infiniti G35. The Infiniti G35 is the US equivalent of the V35-chassis Skyline GT350 sedan, not the GT-R. There is a Skyline GT250 as well, but there is no US market equivalent. The Infiniti G35 Coupe is the US version of the CPV35 Skyline GT350 Coupe.

[quote]so basically a skyline gtr r34 and an infinity g35 coupe are exactly the same in every aspect of the engine?[quote]
No. The R34 Skyline GT-R, discontinued in 2002, was powered by the RB26DETT I6, also discontinued in 2002. The V35 and CPV35 Skylines use the VQ25DE and VQ35DE V6.

Quote:
if they really are the same then that means the g35 can take as much boost punishment as a r34 can....I.E. TURBOS PLUS NOS W/O BLOWIN THE ENGINE. IF SO THATS PRETTY COOL AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH. SO ALL ID HAVE TO DO TO MAKE IT LIKE THE SKYLINE IS ADD THE TWIN TURBOS AND THEYD HAVE THE SAME POWER?
The VQs are aluminum block motors, and primarily intended for normal aspiration duty(read: high compression ratios). Thus, they cannot normally handle as much boost as the iron block RBs. However, they are versatile enough to be turbocharged and make the same, if not more, power than the RB26DETT up to a point.
The VQ25DET used in the Stagea wagon already matches the RB26DETT's rating of '276hp.' The VQ30DET from the Cedric/Gloria twins has the same rating of course, but exceeds it further. The VQ35DE matches the RB26DETT's rating while normally aspirated.

Quote:
I HOPE THEY MAKE UP FOR IT PERFORMANCE WISE!!!!!!!!
You've got Hiroshi Tamura's word on it. He was resposible for the R34 GT-R as well, so you know he'll pull through. According to him, the GT-R will take an even bigger leap than Ferrari made from F355 to the F360M, or the Porsche 993 to the 996.

Quote:
i hope its just a rumor otherwise ill stick w/ a r34.
It is not a rumor. If you live in the US and don't have an R34 already, you may not be getting one for some time.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:00 PM   #7
GTES-t
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, the newest generation of the Skyline is the V35 (now starts with V due to the VQ engine). The Infiniti G35 is one and the same. In Japan they originally came out with the 4 door sedan then almost a year later the 2 door coupe.
There's presently no GTR model to replace the R34 GTR. The R34 GTR was supposed to be discontinued this last year and everyone is waiting for the new GTR. If you've noticed any of the concepts and info going around, you will also see that they refer to it as the GTR and not the Skyline GTR. It appears that Nissan will be making it a completely seperate based vehicle, distancing it from the Skyline. Which is a good thing the way the new one looks and none of them being turbo. The concept also looks more like the 350Z then the V35's.
The other rumor is what it will be powered with, the concept wasn't even turbo! Immediately after the release of the VQ in the V35 Skyline they started testing a twin turbo VQ in the Japanese GT Championship R34's.

Here's a couple of pics of the V35 Skyline Sedan as it should be:

Now with SR20DET 5-Speed
Installed Type M 5-lugs and brakes, R32 GTR rims and 2-Dr rear end (Tail lights & bumper)

1994 Isuzu AMU
US Spec Amigo with JDM Isuzu MU (Mysterious Utility, as it's called in Japan) nurf bars and hatchback style hardtop.
GTES-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:43 PM   #8
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTES-t
Yeah, the newest generation of the Skyline is the V35 (now starts with V due to the VQ engine).
Possibly. Usually, Nissan's chassis codes don't refer to the engine. The new "V" designation would also have been needed for the Skylines, since the GT-R is supposed to be a separate name plate. It's highly likely that the 2008 GT-R(coming in '07) will have the R35 designation.

Quote:
Immediately after the release of the VQ in the V35 Skyline they started testing a twin turbo VQ in the Japanese GT Championship R34's.
And did very well with it, I might add. Nissan won the manufacturer's and driver's titles in the JGTC for 2003 with those VQ-powered GT-Rs. Kinda ironic, since it was the R34's last season.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:39 PM   #9
GTES-t
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, the R and the V in the body aren't related to the engine code. It's just one of the interesting coincidences that occurred with the new V35 chassis. The type that make you think maybe it's more then a coincidence.

Also, the VQ engines have a different code. They don't have the E anymore, now it's another D.

Here's the V35 Skyline engines available for model:

Sedan:
VQ25DD
VQ30DD
VQ35DD

Coupe:
VQ35DD

All of them also are termed as using the 'NEO Di' Technology. Which is New Direct Injection where the injector goes and puts fuel directly into the cylinder instead of into the airstream just prior to the intake valve as previous engines have.
Now with SR20DET 5-Speed
Installed Type M 5-lugs and brakes, R32 GTR rims and 2-Dr rear end (Tail lights & bumper)

1994 Isuzu AMU
US Spec Amigo with JDM Isuzu MU (Mysterious Utility, as it's called in Japan) nurf bars and hatchback style hardtop.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

The VQ35DE is still used in the US, btw. Very few direct injection vehicles are here, because of the differing sulfur content in fuel.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:04 PM   #11
s2000FREAK
AF Newbie

so in otherwords, wat ur all sayin is the new gtr will deff have more power but will have a v-6 rather then an inline-6. ill be puttin some thought into which one is best, as for not gettin a r34 anytime soon...a friend of mine over in ct has a r34. the outsides kinda beat up but the engines in good shape so it can be repaired. i might be able to buy it off of him wen i get the $$ but i wanna see how the r35 turns out like then ill make a choice. also i have a question. if i were to make a x-cross based car w/ a sequential turbo system, wat turbos would u think work best?
Old 01-31-2004, 03:50 PM   #12
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

first, the skyline doesn't have sequential turbos, and doesn't need them.
i'm a little iffy on your friend actually owning an r34 in CT. especially if it's a recent purchase.

in any case, you're going to be shelling out 50k+ for either car (when the new gt-r shows up).

if you've got that money, more power to you.
the factory turbos on the car are sufficient, and razorGTR is running 11's on them, so they'd be fine for autocrossing.

have you auto-x'd before?
if you've not, you should consider doing that, learning where you want power, how you want it, and if you're comfortable in a BIG car like the skyline on a small course like that.

one more thing.
if you want a skyline to autocross with, you'd want a light, nimble one.
not the r34. the r32 is lightest, just as quick, and can be found for less.
it seems like you're wanting an r34 simply b/c it's an r34.
except that you can't legally purchase one in the states now (unless it was already here and legalized)...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 04:57 PM   #13
GTES-t
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, the list of engines I posted before is only the Nissan V35 Skyline. I didn't know the US was running the DE's, haven't actually looked into the US Infiniti G35 because it's really not worth wasting the money for a badge. Even the pics I posted earlier of the V35 Skyline look better to me then a showroom G35.

After seeing JDM vehicles in their natural state, neither my wife or I can justify spending the money required on an Acura, Infiniti or Lexus to get the different badge, usually the low end engines and fewer options.

s2000freak, if you are looking at an x-cross, flylwsi's right the R32 is the best suited for that purpose. The R32 has the best weight and size of the GTRs for that purpose. The Aussies have been having several good runs with them. Check out this link under racing on the left hand menu:
http://www.justjap.com/Welcome_Page.htm
Now with SR20DET 5-Speed

1994 Isuzu AMU
Old 01-31-2004, 06:11 PM   #14
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: ok really weird garbage i saw online about the skyline!!!

Quote:
so in otherwords, wat ur all sayin is the new gtr will deff have more power but will have a v-6 rather then an inline-6. ill be puttin some thought into which one is best
The next GT-R will have at least 400hp from a VQ3XDETT, some say as much as 450hp. The handling will be much better considering the CPV35 Skyline coupe can already outslalom the R34 GT-R.

Quote:
as for not gettin a r34 anytime soon...a friend of mine over in ct has a r34.
If the car has already been legalized, you're in the clear. If not, forget it.

Quote:
but i wanna see how the r35 turns out like then ill make a choice.
You've got about 3 1/2 years to wait for the GT-R. If the R34 is okay, you might as well get that, provided you aren't doing autocross.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:41 PM   #15
s2000FREAK
AF Newbie

no i havent ever done an x-cross race b4. thnx for the info it really helped out all and i dun know if his skyline is legalized or not but i think i might go for the r35...and ur right i do have quite a while for it to come out. as for x-cross ill check out the r32 and some other cars. thatnx again all and i really really really appreciate u all takin time to help me out.