Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 04:56 PM   #1
fingercuffs
AF Newbie

brake pads - ceramic or semi-metallic?

Hi All

Has anyone used ceramic brake pads in their Xterra or other SUV or truck applications? I was thinking of using ceramic pads instead of the Nissan OEM pads and wondering if anyone had comments or recommendations?

Thanks
fingercuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:55 PM   #2
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

I assume you are thinking of the Akebono Pro ACT pads, right? I'm using them on my truck and so far am very pleased. They are less expensive than Nissan and come with new shims that cost you extra from the dealer. To get pads and shims from the dealer you spend almost twice as much. I am also using Power Stop cross drilled and slotted rotors so i can't fairly compare performance to stock pads, but I would expect them to perform equally as well or better. I also haven't had them long enough to really judge the wear characteristics although they seem to be wearing well with about 20K miles on them.
In any case, they don't squeak or anything and the amount of brake dust produced by them is minimal.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:25 PM   #3
boodie
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH
I assume you are thinking of the Akebono Pro ACT pads, right? I'm using them on my truck and so far am very pleased.
Chuck -

Where'd you get them from??? And do they have matching shoes for the rear???
boodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:22 PM   #4
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

I got my pads and rotors from Phils, Inc. I have not found aftermarket rear shoes yet though.

Phil's, Inc.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:09 PM   #5
fingercuffs
AF Newbie

Chuck - I was looking at the Akebono Pro ACT - I was originally told they were available for my model year but apparently not. I'll probably go with the Nissan OE or Wagner ThermoQuiet for now.
fingercuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:48 AM   #6
leftydog1961
AF Newbie

Ceramic Pads on Xterra

Just put Bendix Ceramic pads ($57.00 -4 pads) on the xterra sc/se at 31000 miles. Took about 2 hrs to do (half that time was jacking the truck up without the right floor jack!)....very easy. did not turn the rotors as they were not scored and there was no pulsation in the pedal or wheel when braking. Seem very quiet, no problems. Easy job....I understand the ceramic brakes have a long life and less brake dust and are real quiet....I would certainly consdir them....
leftydog1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:55 AM   #7
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
I got aftermarket rear shoes over a year ago. I forget the brand, it was whatever the little shop had at their warehouse, but it was a brand I'd heard of at one time or another.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote