Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 06:40 AM   #1
miniva_newbie
AF Newbie

heated seats in 2001 silo---problem

I just recently purchased my first minivan--2001 Silhouette Premier. The driver side heated seat doesn't seem to get as warm as the passenger side. My wife says it warms up fine. Should I check something out electrically or take it to the dealer? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
miniva_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 01:02 AM   #2
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Welcome to your biggest mistake ever. Sure, you think GM makes good vehicles, but our Silhouette vans have some of the WORST crash ratings I've ever seen. Not to mention that my family's 2001 has the EXACT same problem, along with about 200,000 other problems. Our whole power steering assembly has already been replaced, and Olds was such assholes about it, we had to go through 3 different dealers before someone even thought that having no power steering when it's cold was a problem.

We're so fed up with all the other problems that we've just left this heating problem go. Cause when that gets fixed, Olds will have to fix that plastic panel on the inner side of the seat that broke off, taking the bungee basket along with it. I'll never ever tell someone to buy one of these vans for as long as I live.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 01:11 AM   #3
jon@af
The Media Guy

Send a message via AIM to jon@af
you recently purchased it you say? perhaps you could trade it in for a used GMC Safari AWD, we had one of those and it was a great vehicle, didn't have any problems with it. Heck, we even pulled a 2800lb camper with it through the mountains.

nah, you bought your vehicle because you liked it, if you think you can find the glitch then go for it, and if you don't find it, take it in for someone to look at.

AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz

Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
jon@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 12:33 AM   #4
bowtiebandit
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to bowtiebandit
Been working for Gm for 15 years and I ave never heard these 2 complaints with the u or x van..? I'm curious about the seat issue. GM just released a recall on the steering racks though.
bowtiebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
speediva
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by bowtiebandit
Been working for Gm for 15 years and I ave never heard these 2 complaints with the u or x van..? I'm curious about the seat issue. GM just released a recall on the steering racks though.
You've got to be f*ing joking w/me!!! Olds treated us like sh!t the 4 and 5 times we took our van in for loss of power steering when cold. It took at least 6 visits and 3 dealerships to get it fixed, and all the while the B@stards were racking up complaints to a recall!!!!

Also, they go in and replace the steering column but conveniently don't fix the seat that doesn't heat or the huge plastic part on the inner side of the driver's seat that has been hanging off for at least 4 mechanical repairs.

I'm learning VERY quickly not to buy GM for their horrible service and lack of common sense, present company excluded.

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Old 02-03-2003, 08:14 PM   #6
bowtiebandit
AF Regular

Yes the recall came out last week. I cant be sure if it involves your vehicle or not but it is out there. You know just as I opened my mouth we have 1 in the shop with you exact same complaints. Tech is putting a steering rack in it and a seat heater element. I posted this else where but I cant remember where but if your dealin with a dealer ask them for their CSI report. This is their report card from GM based on what other customers feel about their service there. Its based on a 1 to 4 scale, 4 being the best. This way you can avoid worthless dealers and trust me I know they're out there and they make the rest of us look bad. You can also request a copy of each technicians individual CSI but most dealers fight this but I never understand why. If your good your good if you suck then fix it or get out.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:37 PM   #7
speediva
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by bowtiebandit
I posted this else where but I cant remember where but if your dealin with a dealer ask them for their CSI report. This is their report card from GM based on what other customers feel about their service there. Its based on a 1 to 4 scale, 4 being the best. This way you can avoid worthless dealers and trust me I know they're out there and they make the rest of us look bad. You can also request a copy of each technicians individual CSI but most dealers fight this but I never understand why. If your good your good if you suck then fix it or get out.
Right on! Thanks a lot! Sorry for going off on you, but our van was just in for *yet another* service. At least this dealership (although not very close to where we live) seems to have some common sense. This will help my family out a lot.

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Old 02-04-2003, 01:02 PM   #8
bowtiebandit
AF Regular

Its all good, unfortunately it happens alot. Peoples frustrations are ten fold now that vehicles prices have done the same. Worst part about the whole mess is they come out with new things faster than they can train us on it. No diffewrent then recalls...seems the ower gets the info before we do.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #9
Hugh Thornton
AF Newbie

Re: heated seats in 2001 silo---problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniva_newbie
I just recently purchased my first minivan--2001 Silhouette Premier. The driver side heated seat doesn't seem to get as warm as the passenger side. My wife says it warms up fine. Should I check something out electrically or take it to the dealer? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
I have exactly the same problem with my heated? seats. Does anyone know whether this is a fused problem or is it something more serious?
The only difference I have experienced is that the seats just stopped working altogether. I'd sure appreciate someone telling me what to do,
aside from dumping the blankety-blank vehicle in the lake!

Hugh Thornton
Hugh Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:19 PM   #10
Hugh Thornton
AF Newbie

Re: Re: heated seats in 2001 silo---problem

[quote=Hugh Thornton]I have exactly the same problem with my heated? seats. Does anyone know whether this is a fused problem or is it something more serious?
The only difference I have experienced is that the seats just stopped working altogether. I'd sure appreciate someone telling me what to do,
aside from dumping the blankety-blank vehicle in the lake!
I just finished spending $1200.00 replacing an intake manifold gasket
problem, thermostat, antifreeze and spark plugs. And the vehicle has only 76,000 kms!
Old 01-12-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
Hugh Thornton
AF Newbie

Re: heated seats in 2001 silo---problem

Heated seats in the 2001 GM Silhouette
Old 01-15-2004, 11:03 AM   #12
troyandmarsha
AF Newbie

mine too

for us the driver seat was TOO HOT. the dealer fixed it at no charge.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:19 AM   #13
Hugh Thornton
AF Newbie

Re: mine too

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyandmarsha
for us the driver seat was TOO HOT. the dealer fixed it at no charge.

Thanks troyandmarsha) I'm currently not disposed to any kindness with
my dealer. Colonial Motors in Newmarket Ontario has been not only indif-ferent but downright rude in addressing my problems. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for a solution.

Hugh Thornton
Old 01-15-2004, 12:38 PM   #14
troyandmarsha
AF Newbie

hugh

i think asking the dealer to see their CSI rating is the best way to go. then ask the service manager if you can fill a "CSI Follow up sheet" out. that should get his attention. i would suggest being super polite about the task so that he may feel an opportunity to revisit your car woes prior to you filling out the CSI rating survey. it appears that GM is putting more and more pressure on dealers to have high level of service ratings. good luck.

.......otherwise....if they're not into customer surveys, then moving on to a dealer that really cares might be best.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #15
troyandmarsha
AF Newbie

hugh

i also suggest that you find the customer assistance or support number from your owners manual. call it and complain about the dealer if they don't treat you right. most likely the dealer will get a call from GM telling them to take care of you. give it a try and let us know.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette