Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Any explainations for this quirk?

wayne64
09-20-2005, 11:25 AM
So since the 96 S10 is needed on a daily basis I had to get it up and running fast. See http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbu...ad.php?t=459179 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=459179)

To recap, I ran a wire off the batt post on the alternator, thru a 10 amp fuse into the cabin. Added a push button switch and ran the wire down to the starter selonoid. Quick and dirty and you turn the key to on and stab the button to crank and start. Of course it will start in gear but the girl friend knows that. So what has me scratching my head is that using this mode the daylight running lights aren't working??:screwy: When the key is turned on they light, during cranking they go out and don't come back on.Yet the main beams work fine. Any ideas as I still don't know all the componets in the start circuit. It did feel good to get back to basics since for two summers in the mid 60s I was paid to hot wire lots of cars.

balls_to_the_wall
09-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I was paid to hot wire lots of cars. Please explain this one to me...I'm intrigued.

-ryan

mike1224
09-20-2005, 03:48 PM
I was paid to hot wire lots of cars. you were paid to hotwire them? ummmm, is there good money in that? I would also be looking for benefits! joking of course! but, yes, i too am intrigued.

wayne64
09-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Please explain this one to me...I'm intrigued.

-ryan
Ryan, it had to be the best job for a young man ever. Two summers while on break from college I drove a tow truck. This was on state parkways where a permit was required, so my boss had an exclusive on the roads and 6 trucks always rolling. Sometimes it was radio dispatched calls for break downs or wreaks, sometimes you stopped for cars that were down and asked if they needed help. BUT the permit also covered Jones Beach and thats where the break ins and hot wireing happened. It seems at least 10-15 folks lost there keys in the sand on a typical summers day. Remember this was before locking steering wheels, computers and the rest of the crap that makes us nuts now. So I would slim-Jim their door if locked and sold them a 2' piece of wire with alligator clips. I would hook up the wire to the coil and the battery, then with my trusty screwdriver jump the starter to fire it up. I then told them don't stall it or I'll have to charge another $6 for the road call. The wire we charged a dollar for. I can't tell you how many times young, and older, ladies asked if I would like some favor :licka: in instead of charging them. If they couldn't pay the policy was to take their rear seat, then they would always came back to pay their bill. Long hours, maybe 14,and 6 days a week but in 1965 a $170 plus tips take home was mighty big money for a 19 year old.

balls_to_the_wall
09-20-2005, 05:44 PM
That is AWSOME...damn i wish i could have that job!

mike1224
09-20-2005, 06:23 PM
the key is in th "ON" position, right??

mike1224
09-20-2005, 06:32 PM
side note wayne, awesome things on your website, i like that big engine

wayne64
09-20-2005, 07:09 PM
the key is in th "ON" position, right??
Yes Mike the key is in the normal run position. I'm just using the wire to tickle the 4.3 to life. And thanks about my forum, I've had it about 3 years. not alot of action but the posters are from all over the world. I build and own both Chevies and Fords so the big battle is lost on me. All my friends know just don't park a pacific rim car or bike in my driveway :nono:

OverBoardProject
09-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks for making me feel young wayne64.

You were hot wiring cars 4 years before I was born.

It does sound like it was a good job back then. Although I would almost hate to do it these days.
You have to be a tow truck operator / mechanic / locksmith and a computer tech all rolled into 1

I own both Ford and Chevy too, and I'm dumping Ford motors into both my Essex's when their built.

Add your comment to this topic!