Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Skyline Vs Mustang

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

popshash
02-21-2002, 12:25 PM
hi for all GT-R lovers

i am one of NISSAN SKYLINE LOVERS and i have afriend who love FORD MUSTANG but i want to know which the fastest NISSAN SKYLINE GTR34 or FORD MUSTANG COBRA

thank and keep it up becuse GTR IS THE BEST OS THE BEST

SkylineUSA
02-21-2002, 07:07 PM
Look up the 1/4 times and you will have your answer.

You truthfully can not compare the two vehicles, since the are not priced the same. $4$ compare it to a roush that is supercharged and then you will have a $4$ and the Stang will win.

But I would still take the GT-R.

Stangs are a little to common, I should know I have one. Peace:)

R33
02-21-2002, 08:15 PM
There is only ONE MUstang that I know exists in Malaysia and it's driven by a lady royalty over here!
Would love to race against a Mustang including yours, SkylineUsa!:D
Having said so I fell in love with Mustang ever since the Bullit days. In fact I think the GTR's looks owe substantially to Mustang. Is it true or is it just my imagination?

SkylineUSA
02-21-2002, 08:57 PM
You have a few more horsies than I do right now. Let me build up my Boss 302, then we can talk.:D

You know, I see the resemblance of the two cars as well, I though it was my being biased towards Fords, but guess not.:p

Gonthrax
02-22-2002, 12:03 AM
Are we racing both cars stock? 'cause if so I'm afraid to say I think the 'stang would get eatin. The GTR just has to much going for it, AWD, great responce time, pretty even acceleration through the gears. I'd say that modded the Stang gets beat too. They are just two different classes of cars:D

SkylineUSA
02-22-2002, 05:13 AM
$4$ the stang will kill a skyline. 1/4 mile and road course.

Stock for stock you can not compare since there is huge price difference.

SkylineUSA
02-22-2002, 05:19 AM
Put it this way, a slighly modified GTR will run you $50,000 and you have a car that can handle right around .95 on the skid pad and run the 1/4 mile in low 12 to high 11's.

That same amount in my car, I will have a car that can run over a G on the skid pad, and the 1/4s in the 9's.

Gtr2.7L
02-22-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by SkylineUSA
Put it this way, a slighly modified GTR will run you $50,000 and you have a car that can handle right around .95 on the skid pad and run the 1/4 mile in low 12 to high 11's.

That same amount in my car, I will have a car that can run over a G on the skid pad, and the 1/4s in the 9's.

Actually, Fifty Thousand US will buy you a brand new R34, Suspension, boost controller, intakes, exhaust, turbos, injectors, and a new fuel pump (and you'll be putting some 600HP to the deck) and 1.05-1.07g's on the pad.

If you said 38 g's....I might go for it.....
but the GTR is still the nicer car:)

Gonthrax
02-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Gtr2.7L

Actually, Fifty Thousand US will buy you a brand new R34, Suspension, boost controller, intakes, exhaust, turbos, injectors, and a new fuel pump (and you'll be putting some 600HP to the deck) and 1.05-1.07g's on the pad.

If you said 38 g's....I might go for it.....
but the GTR is still the nicer car:)

Exactialy, and think what you could do for 50k US on an R32! I'm sorry but on a road course the 'Stang gets murdered. There is a reason that the R32 swept the races in NZ when it was introduced there, and that was agianst other race cars. I find it very difficult to beleave that a Mustang could compair with a GTR on a road course. They are two different breeds of car, ask Razorgtst. He has ridden in an R34 V-spec II owned by canman (I think) of SDU, they were taking corners pushing over 1g lateral on street tires. The suspension, ATTESSA, HICAS and a superb powerplant is just to much of a winning combination! Let me dig up some figures and I'll post them in a second.

SkylineUSA
02-22-2002, 02:14 PM
Thats why they have mustangs in the 6's and skylines in the 7's.

$50k will not get you a R34 here in the states. I was refering to what you can buy in the states, since that is where we were making that comparison, but if you just want to take numbers from anywhere, ya your right.

Oh, where can I get that R34 at:D

SkylineUSA
02-22-2002, 02:23 PM
I will stick what I said though, $4$ a Mustang will kill a GTR if you compare them in the states.

$50k in a Mustang I would be pushing 900hp and hold well over 1g on the pad, advantage Mustang.

With that being said, I can't wait to sale my Mustang to buy a GTR :D

Rich J
02-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Sorry being from the UK mustang ain't that common, could someone post the BHP figures and 0-60 and 1/4 mile times so I can see the difference, also anyone got a pic of the said Mustang?

Must admit if its the one I'm thining of that came out a few years ago then it is very nice!:D

SkylineUSA
02-22-2002, 05:19 PM
Rich look at my sig, I think my 0-60 is right around 4.6, 1/4 in 11.89. My car is not stock by any means, but its also very slow compared to some of the Stangs that run around my small town.

I have a total of 10,000 pounds into my car. I will be shipping it to England in a month, so if you want a ride let me know. If you want to see some pics go www.stangnet.com or www.corral.net there are a lot there.

SkylineUSA
02-22-2002, 05:21 PM
Oh, I am running right around 400-415 to the rear wheels. with 8lbs of boost

Gonthrax
02-23-2002, 02:51 AM
Ok, perhaps there is somthing horrid I am overlooking about the stangs. Please explain to me how a Cobra is going to outhandle and outperform a GTR on a road course?

I'm not trying to be smart ass either :p I just don't know as much about 'stangs as I do about GTRs :D

*Edit*
Oh yea, here are some drag records from Japan. Note these are all done with the same RB26DETT engine, no engine swaps or the like.

On Drag Slicks.

R33 7.614@181.98 mph

On Street Tyres:

R32 8.747@167mph

High Speed Record.

R33 383.8 km/h

SkylineUSA
02-23-2002, 07:35 AM
Gonthrax,

I am talking about 302s, not some 600cubic inch big block.

Real Cobras are set up for Road Racing, so they can more than keep up with GT-Rs in the corners.

Tell you guys what, when I get to England I will race some Skylines and post the results. Then after I smoke'm, I sale the Stang and buy a Skyline :p

Rich J
02-23-2002, 02:50 PM
Skyline USA when u come over to England there is a very famous drag strip (Famous to Europe) called Santa Pod, so for a legal burn on a 1/4 mile strip can be had for less than $20.

Sure there will be someone who will take up the challenge, very impressive the SVT Mustang, remember reading about it when it 1st came out, very nice looking car and not a slow beast like most us ppl think of when we think of the so called yank tanks over here, no offence.;)

Thanks for the info I'll be sure 2 take u up on your offer of a ride in it!:D

SkylineUSA
02-23-2002, 03:25 PM
Yank Tank, that's funny.My car weighs a little over 3000lbs, so it weighs a little less than the R32.

I will cange out my suspension when I start road racing over there. Right now its set up 1/4s. After I install some Koni Yellows in he back with some decent springs I should be OK against the Beast from the East.

Gonthrax
02-23-2002, 04:48 PM
Gonthrax,

I am talking about 302s, not some 600cubic inch big block.

Real Cobras are set up for Road Racing, so they can more than keep up with GT-Rs in the corners.

Tell you guys what, when I get to England I will race some Skylines and post the results. Then after I smoke'm, I sale the Stang and buy a Skyline :p

Wow, I guess I'm in 'stang denial :D I never knew the SVTs were THAT bad :eek:

SkylineUSA
02-23-2002, 05:12 PM
The aftermarket for Mustangs are awesome to say th least. Thats why I will always say $4$ you can not beat a Stang.

It's time for something new, that is why I want GTR.

R33
02-24-2002, 05:54 PM
Hey Sky, after you show the Brits how the rear end of your 'stang look like, would you bring it over here and try doing the same to me?:D

SkylineUSA
02-24-2002, 06:15 PM
Once I get my Boss 302 tuned up, you got it. :D

With an YS trim, TFS, and a 331 stroker I should be pushing close to 700 at the wheels. Should be pretty fun.

SkylineUSA
02-24-2002, 06:17 PM
Some of those Brits have their GTR tuned up nicely. Let me see how that goes first.

Gonthrax
02-24-2002, 06:34 PM
SkylineUSA, do you have any pics of your car around? I'd love to see it.

SkylineUSA
02-24-2002, 06:39 PM
I am finishing up some body work right now. My hood flew up on me in the 1/4 and I had to fix the hood along with the cowl. I should be done this week. When its done I will post some pics.

Gonthrax
02-24-2002, 08:12 PM
I am finishing up some body work right now. My hood flew up on me in the 1/4 and I had to fix the hood along with the cowl. I should be done this week. When its done I will post some pics.

:eek: that must have been exciting :D

SkylineUSA
02-24-2002, 08:20 PM
The old Pucker factor kicked in.

It kinda sucks going over 110 and not seeing a damn thing in front of you, thank god its in a straight line. I just installed hood locks, so that will not happen again.

Gonthrax
02-24-2002, 09:34 PM
The old Pucker factor kicked in.

It kinda sucks going over 110 and not seeing a damn thing in front of you, thank god its in a straight line. I just installed hood locks, so that will not happen again.

:hehehe: Hood locks probly a good idea :p

I've been doing some reading about SVTs and I'm impressed! My only experience with Mustangs has been with GTs and those damn 3.8 liters. The performance curve goes way up after that :) I wish I had a GTR , I'd like to race ya, I think it would be a good race :) You'd probly smoke me seeing as I've never driven a GTR and you've had mucho experience with your stang though ;)

Rich J
02-25-2002, 01:26 PM
Just remeber theres a lot more GTR's here than there are Mustangs so lots of ppl know how to mod them!:D

Nah but from what I gather its a job and a half to get a Skyline into the US with regards to emissions etc, not as strict in the UK so lots come in from Japan + they have sold the slyline in the UK since late 97. So u would expect a bit more bias!:devil:

Ne ways look forward to seeing ya Mustang over here mate as I'm sure it will be a crowd puller! Saw a 99 camaro the other day, was red and didn't really look that good if I be honest, i little like the early 90's version on the 200sx, u know the one? Ne good?

SkylineUSA
02-25-2002, 03:55 PM
200sx are ugly, I think you are refering to our 240sx. Very nice car.

As you guys know how to modify the Skyline, I have had only 20 years modifing Mustangs,:D I think I know what to do, to get the edge. Its all in the tuning.

I am not fond of Camaros.

Gotta go do somebody work.

Rich J
02-25-2002, 04:24 PM
All works in circles doesn't it, maybe u should setup a Mustang import centre? U never know us brits like a bit of flair !

R33
02-25-2002, 05:56 PM
I could imagine it all. Sky in his 'Stang lining up beside me in my GTR. Oh shyte...his 'Stang looks so cool and it sounds fierce, while Sky is thinking, "omigod, look at that GTR, what an awesome car". The palm gets sweaty and both are shitting bricks. Light goes green and the clutch is released..and...nuttin' happen....both engine is dead!:D

SkylineUSA
02-25-2002, 06:09 PM
That is funny R33. I would be the stalling, just looking in awe at your GTR.

Your car would kill mine, in the Stangs current condition. The wife just gave me permition to dump another $5000 into it when I get to England. So instead of seeing your car a mile a head of me, I could cut it down to 1/2. :p

R33
02-25-2002, 07:06 PM
Yeah...I suppose I would leave u wayyyy behind if u launch in 5th!:D You know what, the ultimate test for any performance car is to let the women drive it!:p My wife hates the GTR...it bounces too much, says she!:rolleyes:
It's good to hear that your credit manager has approved 5k for your car. Mine will never ever approve anything beyond the usual fuel charges!:mad:
Hmm...I can see that blower blowin' man....

SkylineUSA
02-25-2002, 07:20 PM
Hey, my wife really loves GTR's, maybe if your wife likes Mustangs we could swap cars.

I know the price difference, I'll even through in a set of golf clubs, and some chop sticks.:D

sami
02-26-2002, 09:39 AM
200sx are ugly, I think you are refering to our 240sx. Very nice car.

I think he is talking about European 200sx which is their version of Silvia. US spec 200sx is something totally different, more of a mix with Sentra/Sunny and Primera/G20.

And all you guys drooling over a Mustang...:eek: In here you'll see them everywhere you go, they are nothing special, I have driven most of the models. Sorry SkylineUSA, Mustang doesn't come even close to a GT-R, not even the SVT Cobra.

SkylineUSA
02-26-2002, 09:58 AM
No thy enemy!

Cost wise yes, Skyline cost way more. Read my posts $4$ you can not beat a stang. Hands down. If you think othere wise, you are mistaken.

You are right they are a dime a dozen, but that is why the aftermaket is so good, hence the $4$. High volume, low price. = $4$.

I never mentioned a SVT, I do my own work.

SkylineUSA
02-26-2002, 10:07 AM
Oh, nice car.

Just remember I have a 1/4 of the money in my car, and I would smoke you.:D

sami
02-26-2002, 10:12 AM
I never mentioned a SVT, I do my own work.

I mentioned SVT because that's the closest you'll get for a decent road race car. Moneywise Mustang is a better value in the US if you're looking to get a dragster, I'll give you that. As a complete package, it doesn't come close even if you factor in the money.

I know I come off sounding like an asshole but I'm just giving my honest opinion of the two cars.

SkylineUSA
02-26-2002, 11:30 AM
Naw, you make a good point. That is why I like Skylines, but I do not make that kind of money to be able to purchase one. I really do like your R32.

I am just talkin' crap with you.

They do make excellent handling kits for stangs, they just are not for drag anymore. I'll keep you guys posted when I run up on some GTR's in Europe. Since the Stang is the All-American Pony car.

The SVT makes very good cars, but I like to turn my own wrench.

SkylineUSA
02-26-2002, 11:36 AM
I forgot to add, the money factor. I am almost positive I will be able to hold my own to those European GTRs, for half the cost. I will not sugar coat any of the results. If I get my ass kick, you guys will be the first to know, but I think I'll do alright.

R33
02-26-2002, 08:30 PM
Go and smoke 'em Brits Sky!:D

medici78
02-27-2002, 01:04 AM
I have to agree with SkylineUSA, as the aftermarket is very friendly to the RUSTANGS:D Don't forget that the Skylines are as popular in Japan as Mustangs are in the States, so the dime-a-dozen factor is subjective. For less than the price of a turbo and fuel system upgrade on a GT-R, you can pick up a Stang and make it run 12s, with not too much effort. I"ve seen it done many times. Of course, I'd rather have a GT-R (hopefully w'in 3 months!)so don't take anything I say the wrong way. As far as domestics, I'd rather have an LS1 Camaro, but I do have to admit the Fox-Body 5.0 'Stangs are great cars for the money. But they can NEVER match the technological prowess of a Skyline GT-R. If I lived in Japan, I'd probably want a Camaro SS since I'd already have a GT-R.:D

SkylineUSA
02-27-2002, 08:29 AM
Well said medici78,

I work someone that has a LS1, very nice car. Pretty expensive, out the door it was in the area of $33,000. He was looking to do headers, told me it was $700:eek: Not mention that damn damn spark plug that is a pain in the ass to get too.

Funny thing is, he wish he had my car.

NiteskyR
03-05-2002, 09:13 AM
nasty ;)

still no word on the salvage one sky
like i said its probably bull.

smittymotorsports
06-17-2002, 11:34 PM
Hands down the skyline-34 w/ its four wheel drive would out perform a rustang, stock. And most certainly on a road course w/ attessa suspensions and such, instead of a rear wheel, running more torque than it can handle, especially in tighter turns. On the 1/4 the GTR34 has a stock 0-60 in under 4.7 sec, and a quarter at about 11.9 sec average.

The rustang GT, roush edition runs 4.9 seconds 0-60 stock. A quarter-mile sprint in 12.7 seconds. The skidpad performance of 0.96 g to 0.98 g with the standard tires. Premium version, costs $48,975 (According to Autoweek)

Honestly, whats better twin turbo(:p) or supercharged with a 5.4 liter gas gussler. You will get better and more performance from a turbo charger than a super.

If your talkin moded, then there is still no comparison when a skyline 34 in NZ ran over 214 mph, and 1338 horses, stage 4 turbo system and such. If the rustang beat a 214 land speed record (1 1/2 years ago) then show me figs and sites then I will stand corrected, but until that day GTR will remain supreme.

I must say, the skylines in this forum are beautiful mechines. I envy those who drive such a magnificant automobile. Looking at doing a gtr-33 as a project car. Yet, we will probably wait for Jap spec GTR-35s in Spring of 04'.

:D That 87' Rustang wanna 1/4 me with 2.0 bar boost on a 240sx, TT, mounted into a 1990 Acoord. (Will have pictures soon):D :D

SkylineUSA
06-19-2002, 01:46 AM
You have a mph speed of 148, and your in the 10's, man you really must be slipping. What is your 60ft times? :confused:

11.9 for a stock R34 :confused:

SkylineUSA
06-19-2002, 02:05 AM
My car has only 9k in it, and it will beat that over priced Roush stang. Let me dump another 40k into my car and see what # I get then.

Are you in England?

SkylineUSA
06-19-2002, 05:40 AM
Your Accord,

Is your car full interior? Sounds pretty wicked. Post those pics, I would love to see that.

Gonthrax
06-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Now sky, does it really take three posts to get the job done :rolleyes:

j/p :p

Anywho, when you do get that 40k into it, I'll fly my ass to England just to see it :eek:

SkylineUSA
06-23-2002, 03:01 PM
40k in a stang, why bother?:D I could build two cars to run in the 9s with that amount of cash.

Thanks Gonthrax for pointing out to everyone that I should of used the edit option:p

I do not think smitty has this tt acoord:D since he has not replied.

Like I have said before, with a little knowledge, a lot of money you can make any vehical fast, but everything falls back on the laws of physics.

longlivetheZ
06-23-2002, 09:58 PM
How easy is it to get a Skyline in Europe...or where ever you guys are? I would ABSOLUTLY LOVE to have a Skyline, but it's about 90G to get a GTR V-Spec here in the us. Anyone in Europe, please e-mail me...I have some questions... rmp5s@i-ontheweb.com

SkylineUSA
06-24-2002, 05:22 AM
I can get a Base GTR '95 R33 for about 19k. What do you want to know?

Gonthrax
06-24-2002, 08:41 AM
I assume sense you say 90Gs you are interested in an R34 V-spec. In nz you can get them for about the same price you can in Japan (Perhaps a little more) which is anywere from 30kUSD to 50kUSD depending how hard you look :D Keep in mind that if a car seems to cheap, it was probly raced either on the streets of Japan, or on a drag strip and then sold before somthing could give. Now this is not always the case but it's somthing to check out.

What questions do ya have? Just post um up and i"m sure they will get answered by me or SkyUSA or someone else :)

SkylineUSA
06-24-2002, 11:24 AM
Just remember that it might take me four or five posts to anwser your question, while Gonthrax will be able to do it in one:D

longlivetheZ
06-24-2002, 05:09 PM
Dude....you live in Bowling Green. I lived in Union, KY for a while. About 15 min from Cincinnati.

Yea...I found a place that imports Skylines that has a R34 Vspec for over 90G. Someday......

I'm in culinary school, so when I get out, I can go just about anywhere I want...maybe I'll come work there and get me a Skyline. Work for a year or so, then bring it back. Just my first thoughts last night.

Gonthrax
06-28-2002, 12:11 AM
Just remember that it might take me four or five posts to anwser your question, while Gonthrax will be able to do it in one:D

Hey, it's all gravy, as long as the question gets answered :D :D

Z: How long have you been in culinary school? I've been in Union a few times, just passing through though, on my way to Cinci :D

SkylineUSA
07-02-2002, 10:17 AM
Hey Smitty,

Where are those pics?:rolleyes: :D

Gonthrax
07-02-2002, 12:59 PM
Hey Smitty,

Where are those pics?:rolleyes: :D

lol, me thinks Smitty has left us :D :D

StageOneGalant
07-02-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by popshash
hi for all GT-R lovers

i am one of NISSAN SKYLINE LOVERS and i have afriend who love FORD MUSTANG but i want to know which the fastest NISSAN SKYLINE GTR34 or FORD MUSTANG COBRA

thank and keep it up becuse GTR IS THE BEST OS THE BEST

All depends on the mods...... Probably the Skyline..

Add your comment to this topic!