-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > Maintenance
Register FAQ Community
Maintenance Have questions? Find answers. Help out fellow Supra owners.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-20-2003, 10:46 AM
supraman93 supraman93 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
burning oil on startup

My 93 tt is burining oil on startup. Not so bad if driven every day, but if left for a few days it makes a little cloud. Every supra I have had did this (82, 88 and 93) and i know its the valve seals. The question is - is this a problem that needs to be fixed or just an annoyance? It's not a very large amount of oil thats getting burnt. Has anyone had their valve seals replaced? How much did it cost?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-21-2003, 04:46 PM
2strokebloke's Avatar
2strokebloke 2strokebloke is offline
In Stereo where available
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,481
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends - how big is the cloud at startup, and how much oil are you burning? If it's just a little, don't worry about it.
__________________

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2003, 10:40 PM
Amish_kid's Avatar
Amish_kid Amish_kid is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah just let your car warm up first before putting it into gear, seemed to help my brother's problem.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2003, 08:21 AM
blood driven blood driven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my car does the same and I just changed the head gasket and valve sills. I took it back to the garage on monday because I found motor oil when I was doing a tune-up. I got it back yesterday, and after driving for 20 minutes. I left the car running on neutral for a few minutes, and when I pressed on the gas, a huge bleuish smoke came out the muffler. whats my problem¿
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2003, 09:03 AM
blood driven blood driven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my car does the same and I just changed the head gasket and valve sills. I took it back to the garage on monday because I found motor oil when I was doing a tune-up. I got it back yesterday, and after driving for 20 minutes. I left the car running on neutral for a few minutes, and when I pressed on the gas, a huge bleuish smoke came out the muffler. whats my problem¿
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2003, 01:39 PM
11 sec. mr2's Avatar
11 sec. mr2 11 sec. mr2 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to 11 sec. mr2
id say you have bad blow by. you need new rings. aka a new motor or you can just drive it til it gets worse. you could prolly still get alot of use out of the motor. just keep checking the oil. and save up for a JDM motor. its about a grand
__________________
--Ryan

"The roar of my engine is the song of DOOM to my enemies"
Turbo Cars are like hot women.
A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them
and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix they'll rock your world!!


"Its not hard choosing between right and wrong,, the hard part is choosing the wrong that is more right"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-05-2004, 11:24 PM
dogdrake dogdrake is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oil burn

could be the turbo oil seals . my 89 turbo smoked before i installed my 62-1 ct26 .
__________________
99 silverado 3" drop 18" custom american racing rims grond effects wipple supercharger 12psi pully edelbrock headers and catback custom leather and alpine audio system. nitrous kit soon 13.6 1/4
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2004, 11:34 PM
projectsupramk3's Avatar
projectsupramk3 projectsupramk3 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,096
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to projectsupramk3
08-19-2003, 02:39 PM
If you would have waited a few more days this thread would have had a birthday!! It's already been answered correctly and the problem is valve seals, oil smoke on startup after sitting is valve seals.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Pressure 130 Pounds Smith1000 Park Avenue 10 04-18-2011 08:39 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > Maintenance


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts