-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Drewx62x Drewx62x is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question '97 Grand AM starting problems (Warning: 2.4L Engine)

ok... so my '97 Grand AM 2.4L is having another problem...I was in a store shopping the other day and as I left and tried to start my car...it wouldn't even try to turn the engine over no clicking from the starter or anything (all dashboard and interior/exterior lights would turn on) but when I turned the key to try and start it...NOTHING...the front headlights would dim and then get bright again after I'd stop trying to crank it...So I get it towed back to my house and find a loose wire by the started (our first guess) but as we were removing the intake manifold we ended up pulling up on the wire that runs from the starter solenoid to the alternator and it would engage the starter but wouldn't start . So we tried checked the recall relay (and as we guessed it works) so better explanation of where I am at:

On the back of the started there are three studs one on top, one to center right, and one on bottom (all on backside) we have the top one wired with the power wire from the battery and the alternator to starter wire. The middle right one (the smaller one) with two small power wires with eyelits (one of which WAS just dangling freely last night) and the bottom grounded. At that we tried to start it...and...again nothing... but the starter is fine just won't engage when I turn the key... Please help ASAP
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
andretti andretti is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: '97 Grand AM starting problems (Warning: 2.4L Engine)

Some of the wires are to fuse links for other circuits. The starter only needs the main heavy positive cable and small purple wire, no ground wire.

What I would do next is verify signal from the ignition switch to this purple wire. See if your test light shows voltage while your partner in crime turns the key. If so then the starter solenoid or motor is dead.

If you're not getting the signal from the key you need to check the yellow wire going to the clutch pedal switch (manual) or park-neutral switch (automatic) on the transaxle. The voltage going to the switch behaves the same way with voltage only in the "crank" position. If it's good, replace the (clutch? park?) switch. No voltage at the yellow, look at the ignition switch.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Drewx62x Drewx62x is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: '97 Grand AM starting problems (Warning: 2.4L Engine)

Replaced starter...came to realize that the "Theft Sys." light is on...could this be a problem to the starter not wanting to engage when I turn the key and if so...How do I replace the NSS? (Automatic Trans. BTW) and the ignition switch is that a P.I.T.A.?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
andretti andretti is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: '97 Grand AM starting problems (Warning: 2.4L Engine)

The theft lock will not prevent the engine from cranking, it takes control of the engine thru the PCM (fuel/ign).

So replacing the starter has fixed the no crank issue?
Is the car now cranking over? Starting-running?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts