-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
yackmaster yackmaster is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stiff steering 98 Passport

I need help... The steering on my 98 Passport (198,000 miles) is very stiff, almost like I don't have power steering. Sometimes it feels ok but 90% of the time you have to turn the wheel with both hands (no one handed turns esp during town driving). Not sure if it's the Rack or the PS pump. I don't know squat about PS steering. What is interisting is as the fluid gets lower (due to a slow leak) it is eaiser to steer.

FYI.. I've had the balljoints and the front axels replaced, both repairs made the steering eaiser but not by much.

I've run SEAFOAM transmission additive in the PS resivior to clean it thinking maybe I have a valve stuck or lots of gunk to clean out but so far I've only seen small particles comming out during the flush. The fluid was old looking when I bought the truck and I have since added new fluid after the flush.

Has anyone else had problems like this? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Cat Fuzz Cat Fuzz is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,947
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Re: Stiff steering 98 Passport

You could have an outer tie rod trying to seize up on you. When you jack up the front of the truck, is it still hard to turn the wheel? If not, I'd suspect power steering problems like a kinked or plugged pressure line. If it is still hard to steer, check out your outer tie rods.
__________________
99 Rodeo LS 3.5L Stroker V-6, 4wd, 31x10.5x15 2 inch Trooper lift, Aisin manual hubs.
03 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4x4 5.3L V8
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2009, 02:54 AM
yackmaster yackmaster is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Stiff steering 98 Passport

I'll check out the turning capacity in the next day or two weather permitting and post results.
__________________
1998 Passport 180,000 miles +, Stock to the bone.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2010, 07:23 PM
yackmaster yackmaster is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Stiff steering 98 Passport

I never got to put the truck up on jacks as suggested since it got cold and snowy. However I did notice that the sterring was easy to move with a few fingers when the truck was on solid ice and packed snow. So I'm surmising that the pump is bad. Picked up a new one but just waiting for the temp to get up and the snow to melt.

I'll report on the results when the pump is replaced.
__________________
1998 Passport 180,000 miles +, Stock to the bone.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2010, 07:05 PM
yackmaster yackmaster is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Stiff steering 98 Passport

Update:

Got the new Pump on this afternoon and the steering is not 100% fixed. The power assist is much more consistant across all driving condtions but I still have to use 2 hands at low speed (parking, backingup, ect.). This makes me think to look at the Rack or the lines. I don't think the lines are blocked but I could be wrong..

More updates when I can post em.
__________________
1998 Passport 180,000 miles +, Stock to the bone.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts