-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-11-2009, 12:07 PM
kmacas kmacas is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Engine swap problems .

Here is the story: I have a 99 Intrepid 2.7 te engine was running and I was in it when the crankshaft bearings turned and the connecting rod cracked in half. It made wholes in the engine and it was dead. I purchased a 2004 Intrepid with 63000 km on it . I took out the 99 and put the 2004 engine in the intreid.
I could not get spark from the coil to the plugs.

I went to the lybrary and foud out that the flex plate from a 2004 does not fit on the 1999.

I changed the flex plate and now I have spark on 2 cylinders and power on the there 4 with no spark.

I believe that I put the flex plate properly . What is my problem?


I was not able to find timing info for the flex plate . does anybody know it

Thank You upfront to all that reply
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-13-2009, 12:44 AM
hundahunta hundahunta is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 835
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Engine swap problems .

sorry to say but you also need to change the cam gear. the 99 engine is a sbec, the 04 is a ngc they have different cam gears and flexplates
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2009, 12:46 AM
hundahunta hundahunta is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 835
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Engine swap problems .

does it start with the cam sensor disconnected try start it, it may take a couple trys
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2009, 02:34 AM
kmacas kmacas is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Engine swap problems .

I will take the coverts off and check. I am almost sure that the flex plate is O.K. now ( 1999 flex plate) but It is possible that the camshaft sprockets have more notches also?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2009, 12:50 AM
hundahunta hundahunta is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 835
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Engine swap problems .

one cam sprocket has a triangle on the front one has a circle
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2009, 11:06 AM
kmacas kmacas is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Engine swap problems .

I took the valve covers off and You are correct the Sprockets are different. Now I have to take the timing chain cover off , chain and change it. I think this will do the job and get the engine working . The engine I put in was purchased in Calgary and the whole car was really cheap.(300$) . When I took the valve cover off I could not believe it. Everything was like NEW . It looked like the engin just came out of the factory. This engine has only 63000 km on it ( 40000m ) . Thank You for you advice you helped alot.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > Intrepid


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts