|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
CV joint leaking and front end noise
I am trying to figure out what would cause this. I have been searching for the last few months for the source of what seemed like tire noise. Sounded like I had big knobby tires on the thing. There isn't much vibration and at low speeds it sounds almost like a grinding. Braking and accelerating doesn't change anything other then the pitch or frequency changes with road speed. It may get louder in a turn but not much and the turning direction doesn't seem to make a difference. I was first thinking it was a wheel bearing. I replaced the drivers side hub a year or so ago. I can feel a small amount of play in the passenger side hub now. However today I jacked it up and put it in drive to spin the front wheels. The passenger side must have the least resistance since that side wanted to spin first. The noise seemed to be coming from the drivers side though and it was definitely there with the tires off the ground. I started looking real good on the drivers side and i found the inner CV joint boot is leaking grease out from under the clamp on the transmission side. So what could be going on in there that would force the grease out like that. I tried to check for play between those parts but I couldn't detect anything don't really know if this is causing the noise but I suspect it may. The problem is it doesn't sound like the clunking I am used to hearing when a CV joint goes.
|
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: CV joint leaking and front end noise
If you replaced 1 wheel bearing, you may have to change the other wheel bearing as well. Also... Sounds can echo under vehicles and make it sound like its coming from a different direction.
My wife's 2003 GM FWD "run about" vehicle hummed as well. Almost like big knobby snow tires were on its front end. After some time, we discovered both its wheel bearings needed to be replaced. They got replaced and humming noise went away. Our mechanic said that sometimes, a jacked up front end "tightens up". Thus, he couldn't feel loose parts - while on high jacks. But on flat ground with tires gently touching the ground, my wife's GM vehicle front end was very loose. Thus, both wheel bearings were replaced - even though NO PLAY feeling existed (when its front end was on high jacks). Hope this helps... . Last edited by spike88; 10-02-2009 at 08:30 PM. |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: CV joint leaking and front end noise
It was not the direction the noise was coming from hinted it was the driver’s side. I placed my shoe against the tire on the passenger side so that it would force the driver side to spin. The noise was only there if the driver side was spinning. Anyway since there is grease coming out of the CV joint it can’t be good or at least it will fail soon. I think I am going to replace it as a first step. Does anyone know if to do this the steering knuckle needs to be removed from the strut?
|
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: CV joint leaking and front end noise
Well you were right. I removed the CV joint from the Hub and i could tell right away. There was no play but that bearing was very hard to turn by hand and made an awful noise. I cant beleive this less then two years and 30,000 miles and the bearing whent again. I bought the more expensive version this time i hope it lasts a littel longer.
|
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: CV joint leaking and front end noise
Quote:
. |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: CV joint leaking and front end noise
Wow, you actually got 2 years out of the cheap bearing? That's actually very good for those. They usually don't last more than a year in my experience. But when someone (the customer) tells you they want cheap, then you have to give it to them...
|
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: CV joint leaking and front end noise
Quote:
|
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: CV joint leaking and front end noise
Did you also replace the CV shaft since you seemed to be concerned about the grease coming out or just the bearing/hub assembly?
|
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: CV joint leaking and front end noise
I replaced the CV joint because it was easy at that point and the inner joint boot was cracked and lost most of its grease so it wasnt going to last too long anyway.
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|