|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
No hot electrical power!!!
I was driving along and all of a sudden I lost all my constant hot electrical. Radio, power locks, interior lights & brake lights. Horn still works though. I've checked all the fuses and they are good. Stumped on this. Any ideas would be great. Its a 1998 Lumina LS. Thanks
|
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
Older cars had fuse able links down by the starter. Newer vehicles have an electrical center usually near the drivers side strut. Check the relays put your finger on them and have someone else try to start. You can feel them click.
If you find one questionable try to find an other one the same size and swap. If this is the problem buy a new relay. Otherwise look for a damaged electrical connector in this area. |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
Checked the fusible and the relays. All look good. Any other suggestions. Thanks
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
I gotta agree, it sounds like you blew a fusable link. How did you check them?
__________________
You made three mistakes. First, you took the job. Second, you came light. A four man crew for me? F**king insulting. But the worst mistake you made... ...empty gun rack. |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
I attached a test lamp to the wires after the link and they were both hot. Is that the way to test it or could they still be bad?
|
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
As long as you were on the correct side. You may have a bad ground check for power to a couple of items that don't work if you have power check the ground for these items.
|
|
#7
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
I might have missed it, but does the car still run?
__________________
You made three mistakes. First, you took the job. Second, you came light. A four man crew for me? F**king insulting. But the worst mistake you made... ...empty gun rack. |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
Yup....runs like a top. However all the hot wires to the fuse block (inside the car) have no power. So the interior lights, power locks, power mirrors, brake lights, hazard lights and the stereo doesn't work. However the radio fuse is hot when the ignition is on.
Everything else works. Headlights, heater, etc. However when I put the fan on max (4) I get nothing. I have checked every fuse over and over again but they are all good. Could it be in the ignition switch? Is there a main wire that goes to the fuse block that is constant? How can I remove the fuse panel to access the wires. Thanks
|
|
#9
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
Have you checked the main wiring block (main connector @ firewall) & harness under dash ? There are fusible links inline of main harness as well. As previously stated CHECK ALL GROUNDS. Not all of these circuits route through the electrical center.
__________________
MONOTONY is the worst driving hazard, so SHUT-UP when I'm driving. 97-Lumina LS 1891Argentine 7.65 with scope! |
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Quote:
![]() ![]()
|
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
Hey LuminaTom, I have a 99 Lumina with the EXACT problem description right down to the list of things that quit working, while the car engine runs perfectly. I have no "hot at all times" at the fuse block. Please describe in detail where you found the bad connection. Was this a plug and socket, inside the car or on the engine side, driver side or passenger side? I have already spent 3 hours on this and can't figure out how all the orange wires (hot at all times) coming to the fuse block can be dead.
Thanks. bstrom53 |
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
The block is on the passengers side on the firewall right next to the alternator. It is quite hard to get off (the rubber boot on it), but when you get it off check the connectors.
|
|
#13
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
Hey, I found the plug and socket on the firewall. The plug and socket for the heavy red wire (hot at all times wire) showed signs of arcing and excessive heat. I cleaned it up and replugged it and it worked. I also ran a backup wire through the firewall to provide hot at all times power along with it. I don't trust any plug and socket that has been that hot. I'm sure it will fail again in the future.
|
|
#14
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
Nice catch, Bearwulf
__________________
You made three mistakes. First, you took the job. Second, you came light. A four man crew for me? F**king insulting. But the worst mistake you made... ...empty gun rack. |
|
#15
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: No hot electrical power!!!
Thanks, have run across that problem twice before.
__________________
MONOTONY is the worst driving hazard, so SHUT-UP when I'm driving. 97-Lumina LS 1891Argentine 7.65 with scope! |
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|