-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-15-2009, 05:25 PM
2dooreighty5 2dooreighty5 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 121
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New headers not fitting

I just got new headers and I have remooved the old ones and I remooved the starter and some other things that were blocking me from putting the new ones in.... But the steering colum is still in the way and on the passenger side it's rubbing on the bottom end like on a control arm or the frame.....I'm wondering if any one has done this or if I have to shave or modify the car.... Didn't think I would have to do that
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-15-2009, 09:41 PM
silicon212's Avatar
silicon212 silicon212 is offline
Confoundingly Lucid
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,904
Thanks: 6
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to silicon212
Re: New headers not fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dooreighty5 View Post
I just got new headers and I have remooved the old ones and I remooved the starter and some other things that were blocking me from putting the new ones in.... But the steering colum is still in the way and on the passenger side it's rubbing on the bottom end like on a control arm or the frame.....I'm wondering if any one has done this or if I have to shave or modify the car.... Didn't think I would have to do that
Not really enough info here. What are they going on (I assume a 2-dr '85 Caprice)? What are they designed for? B-body headers designed to fit 1977 or later should work fine. I can see you running into trouble if you got headers for A/G-body (Malibu, Monte Carlo, El Camino).
__________________
1988 9C1 - Modified LM1 @ 275HP/350TQ - TH700R4 - 3.08 8.5" Disc Rear - see it at http://www.silicon212.org/9c1!
2005 Crown Vic P71 - former AZ DPS - 4.6 liters of pure creamy slothness!
1967 El Camino L79/M20 old school asphalt raper

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-15-2009, 10:42 PM
2dooreighty5 2dooreighty5 is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 121
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New headers not fitting

yea it's a 305 and the headers are meant for 79 to 87 full size chevy... I can probably get the right side to work by remooving the steering colum but the left side looks like it need to be custom.... I didn't think I would have to do that.... Any one run into this problem
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-16-2009, 09:37 AM
96capricemgr 96capricemgr is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: New headers not fitting

Have you tried putting either of them in from the bottom?
__________________
96 Caprice Medium Garnet Red
11.56 at 115.9mph naturally aspirated
94 Caprice wagon, rotted out POS
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-2009, 08:28 PM
rhandwor rhandwor is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,662
Thanks: 0
Thanked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Re: New headers not fitting

Match the gaskets to the block if they fit match the headers to the gasket.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM
96capricemgr 96capricemgr is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: New headers not fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandwor View Post
Match the gaskets to the block if they fit match the headers to the gasket.
That might help if he said they would not bolt up.
__________________
96 Caprice Medium Garnet Red
11.56 at 115.9mph naturally aspirated
94 Caprice wagon, rotted out POS
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts