-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-25-2009, 11:00 PM
chrisinsurance chrisinsurance is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
95 sl2 fan won't run

I have a 95 sl2. Of course as long as I drive the engine stays cool. once I am in stop and go, the temp goes up to almost 3/4 and fan still won't come on. I hear the fan try to engage but won't. I can turn the heat on high, and temp goes down. Then the engine light will come on. It also comes on when I turn off the AC. Fan still won't run with AC.
I have changed the Fan motor, fan switch. In the process of checking the relay in the fuse box under the hood. The fan does have fire when crossed to the battery. Could it be the Temp send sensor or the Thermastat. any ideas. I hope not the PCM. Everything else runs great. AC Cools as well.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-25-2009, 11:50 PM
ronaldk's Avatar
ronaldk ronaldk is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 252
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 95 sl2 fan won't run

change coolent temp sensor the one with two wires also check that electrical plug for corrosion . oh be ready to change fast since you will loss coolent.I assume fuse and relay were checked
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 AM
RC1488 RC1488 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 982
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 sl2 fan won't run

+1.

Also it is important to note the calibration differences between 1991-1995 (OBD I) and 1996 - 2002 (OBD II) saturns.

OBD I cars read 1/2 as the proper operating temps from the gauge. This equaled 195F in reality. The fan turns on at 225F which is read as 1-2mm BEFORE the red on the gauge.

OBD II read 3/8s as the proper operating temps. This equaled 195F in reality. The fan turns on at 225F which reads as 3/4 on the gauge.

As long as your gauge does not show the temp in the red your alright. HOWEVER, the fan HAS to turn on when the A/C is on. If it does not, after replacing the ECTS (two wire) check the relay.

If your car does not Show 1/2 per the gauge during normal operating temps (highway) then your thermostat is stuck open and needs to be replaced
__________________
Present: '02 Sl1 Man '01 SC1 Man '97 Sl2 Auto '96 SL2 Auto '95 SC2 Man
Past: '99 Sl2 Auto '97 Sl2 Man '98 SL2 Man '95 Sl2 Man '95 Sl2 Man '94 Sl2 man
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2009, 03:28 PM
chrisinsurance chrisinsurance is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 sl2 fan won't run

Thanks. I didn't see two wires. Which one is that. I changed the top front. The bottom has a round tip inside and I am having a hard time finding that part. Is the bottom the one you are talking about. Someone said to also check the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM
RC1488 RC1488 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 982
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 sl2 fan won't run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC0U53w_Htk
__________________
Present: '02 Sl1 Man '01 SC1 Man '97 Sl2 Auto '96 SL2 Auto '95 SC2 Man
Past: '99 Sl2 Auto '97 Sl2 Man '98 SL2 Man '95 Sl2 Man '95 Sl2 Man '94 Sl2 man
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 PM
g13 g13 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 sl2 fan won't run

I also have a problem with the fan. My car is alo a 1995 but a SL1.

Car would overheat, antifreeze and steam would come out of the resevoir tank (from the cap). I replaced the cap and it would still overheat. I noticed fan wouldn't turn on. A friend and a supply store recommended me replacing the thermostat which I did. I overheated again and noticed that the fan still wouldn't turn on even when I turned on the AC (which, since the overheating problem, it stopped cooling). I then noticed that if I manually spun the blade of the fan the fan would turn on and stay on till the car was turned off. It cooled the car down but now I have a leak in the radiator.

I'm going to replace the radiator but what do I do about this faulty fan? I've checked the relay (under hood) and the fuses. Should I replace the fan motor or is it something else?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 PM
RC1488 RC1488 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 982
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 95 sl2 fan won't run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4pSW...om=PL&index=79

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnFFE...om=PL&index=97
__________________
Present: '02 Sl1 Man '01 SC1 Man '97 Sl2 Auto '96 SL2 Auto '95 SC2 Man
Past: '99 Sl2 Auto '97 Sl2 Man '98 SL2 Man '95 Sl2 Man '95 Sl2 Man '94 Sl2 man
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts