-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mercury > Villager
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Crocostimpy's Avatar
Crocostimpy Crocostimpy is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2001 axle shaft

While I was changing the driver's ball joint the axle popped out of the tranny. I can't for the life of me get it all the way back in. The splines are meshed but it has about a half inch more to go but won't budge. Consequently I can't get the ball joint bracket lined up.

The manual says to replace the circular clip and something about a special tool. I suppose that's the clip that's loosely hanging down from near the end of the shaft. I suppose that's what's preventing it from going all the way in. Is it not supposed to be loose like that? Can I get it from somewhere other than the dealer? Do I need the special tool? The manual makes it sound very easy, but I've spent a couple of hours already trying to figure just this out.

Any help appreciated. If I don't get this thing back together it's going to be stuck in the middle of the garage.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-11-2009, 05:57 PM
tempfixit tempfixit is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,469
Thanks: 22
Thanked 97 Times in 97 Posts
Re: 2001 axle shaft

I would try taking off the axle nut and removing shaft from the spindle then rotate the shaft and see if you can seat it properly in the transaxle. I have replaced the halfshaft on my 94 but the 01 maybe different but I wouldn't think so.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Crocostimpy's Avatar
Crocostimpy Crocostimpy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2001 axle shaft

Well I ended up getting it together ok, I guess. I think the shaft was in as far as it was going to go until the ball joint was completely installed and the car was back down on the ground. I had a heck of a time with the ball joint. I had the tapered stud in the knuckle but couldn't get the bolts on the knuckle to line up with the ball joint ear. I was stuck until I realized I needed to unbolt the sway bar from the control arm so I could pry the arm down. Once I did that it went together pretty easily. I was worried that the seal on the tranny wasn't going to seal on the axle, but it isn't leaking yet. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mercury > Villager


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts