-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-02-2009, 11:54 AM
tebo77 tebo77 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ohm Meter Settings?

I am trying to test my sensors before I just start buying the ones I replaced last year. I have an ohm meter with a/c, d/c, and ohms settings on the dial. I think I would turn this to dc settings? There are 3v, 12v, and 60v settings for dc. 15?
Also there are 3 seperate sets of holes to put the leads into...output/dc1200v, ac1200v/dc600v, and -com/+V-^-A. I think the last set is where they normally are but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me on how to use this thing for testing vehicle sensors? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
tomj76 tomj76 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 865
Thanks: 3
Thanked 64 Times in 63 Posts
Re: Ohm Meter Settings?

Each sensor requires different types of testing approaches. Use of the meter will vary with the particular requirements of each sensor.

The meter you've described is capable of multiple measurements. It can measure current flow, voltage level, and resistance. The ac and dc mode apply only to the voltage and current measurements. For the most part, only the dc mode will be useful when testing vehicle sensors.

The "COM" connection on your meter is normally where you would plug the black wire. "COM" stands for common, and it is always used in conjuction with one of the other connectors.

Some meters have separate connectors used with the red wire depending on the measurement desired. Often the voltage and resistance functions use one connector while current measurements require that the red probe is moved to a different connector. Also, sometimes there is a third connector for an extended measurement range. The manual that came with your meter should provide a clear explaination for the use of each connector.

It sounds as if you might need to work on getting a better understanding of basic electricity, particularly in relation to your automobile.

You might find this website helpful in offering some of those fundementals. I'd encourage you to look for additional resources to help get a better understanding of electricity.

http://www.familycar.com/classroom/Autoshop101.htm
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Windstar


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts