-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 PM
jefferie1979 jefferie1979 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
transmission oil filter

Hello once again, I am changing the transmission oil in my 99 tahoe. I have a 4l60e transmission and it's the 16 bolt oil pan but I can't seem to figure out if it's a shallow pan or a deep pan?? This matters when buying the filter they are not the same. How can I find this info or does someone know. thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-24-2009, 10:45 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: transmission oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferie1979 View Post
Hello once again, I am changing the transmission oil in my 99 tahoe. I have a 4l60e transmission and it's the 16 bolt oil pan but I can't seem to figure out if it's a shallow pan or a deep pan?? This matters when buying the filter they are not the same. How can I find this info or does someone know. thanks.
I have the m30 deep pan...the filter is about 1 inch lower/pan is 1 inch lower..when the fluid is removed its about 5 qts...with the shallow pan its about 3.5qts,,and the filter is thin at the bottom....

some aftermarket filters have longer necks to give the deep pan fit...these are shit as they will suck the crap off the pan bottom...the proper deep filter has the pick up off the pan bottom about 3/4 inch...


read the silverado trannie pan removal post,,,, there are pictures of my deep pan..last wk..posted
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2009, 06:13 PM
jefferie1979 jefferie1979 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: transmission oil filter

thank you jcat it was a deep pan. I dropped the pan and found a fair amount of silver sludge in the bottom like 1/4 inch. I could not even see the magnet in the bottom before I wiped it clean. What if anything is that?? Just wondering if a sign of transmission trouble, it's been shifting a little different lately. I do have 180 000mi on this truck. hoping this will help.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2009, 07:58 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: transmission oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferie1979 View Post
thank you jcat it was a deep pan. I dropped the pan and found a fair amount of silver sludge in the bottom like 1/4 inch. I could not even see the magnet in the bottom before I wiped it clean. What if anything is that?? Just wondering if a sign of transmission trouble, it's been shifting a little different lately. I do have 180 000mi on this truck. hoping this will help.
I would replace the fluid two more times,, this is so the all the old fluid is removed...the amount you stated may mean the filter was never replaced..this is common as many a repair shop offering this service does not drop the pan and clean the pan bottom ..this cleaning takes time and all these shops care about is money not your vehicles performance..

use the new dexronVI...or mobil synthetic...
I dumped dexron III back in 2001.....the fluid is not good for 4l60 truck transmissions...MR. GM put out a TSB on this...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 PM
JMartin515 JMartin515 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: transmission oil filter

I just changed the transmission fluid and filter on my '03 Tahoe this past week. I highly recommend not pulling out the filter seal unless you can tell that that it has been damaged (look and feel for tears or worn spots). Getting that seal out can be a real PITA, unless you have the proper tool.

I consulted with an aquaintence who is a transmission specialist (after tearing up the seal trying to get it out) and he said that he never removes that seal unless he can tell that it is damaged.

He did advise me on how to remove the old damaged seal with a small sharpened chisle. Fortunately, I was able to get the seal out, replace it, finish the job, and now back in business.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Tahoe


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts