-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-01-2009, 06:05 PM
kbridges56 kbridges56 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy 99 Malibu 3.1L electrical problems

The other day I noticed that my lights would dim when I stepped on the brakes, and the radio (aftermarket Clarion) would turn off. It would come back on when I took my foot off the brake. Then the car started to die when I stepped on the brake. Now, after it dies or you turn the car off, it won't start again and the lights & warning lights won't come on, or are very dim. If you wait a few hours or over night, it will start. Could the brake light switch cause all of this, or should I look elsewhere? Maybe the ignition switch?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Airjer_'s Avatar
Airjer_ Airjer_ is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Re: 99 Malibu 3.1L electrical problems

My first thought is what is the output voltage of the alternator? It is entirely possible for the alternator to stop charging and not turn on the "battery" light.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
kbridges56 kbridges56 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 99 Malibu 3.1L electrical problems

I went to Autozone and had them check the charging system. He said it was charging fine.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts