-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 AM
chuck's chuck's is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
02 GA will not turn over

This 02 GA measured 3 volts at the battery.I suspect that it was still the original battery.Tried to boost vehicle and the starter would not engage.I cleaned the battery posts and installed a new battery.I still get no power to the starter.I located the starter relay in the engine compartment fuse panel and found the relay.It has power,but the circuit to ground the relay has an open.I did run a jumper wire to the ground side of the relay and got the engine to turn over.Could there be a problem with the ignition switch?I am not sure if the vehicle has a factory security system.If the vehicle has a security system,could this cause the no crank problem?Any way to check if the security system has been activated?Would low battery voltage activate the system?I could not get the instrument panel fuse cover off to check these fuses.With the weather cold and the cover plastic,I didn't want to force the cover off and break it.I would really appreciate any help to get this resolved.Thank for the help!!
Chuck's
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-14-2009, 09:29 PM
chuck's chuck's is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: 02 GA will not turn over

Problem got solved!!It appears that the security system got activated when the battery voltage got too low.After re-learning the security system,the vehicle started right up.
chuck's
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
mrcytech mrcytech is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 02 GA will not turn over

How did you get the vehicle to relearn the security sysytem? I'm having the same problem with my 02.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-28-2009, 02:04 PM
chuck's chuck's is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: 02 GA will not turn over

I didn't actually do it,but from the understanding I got,you attempt to start the vehicle,leave the ignition on for 15 or 20 minutes and then turn it off and remove the key. Reinsert the key and you should be able to start the engine.Removing the key is important.This info was given to me by the owner after they talked to a GM dealer.There might be info in the owners manual, if you have it?
chuck's
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-28-2009, 02:11 PM
3100 3100 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,034
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 02 GA will not turn over

you do not have to remove the key, just attempt to start the engine and live the key in the run position (theft light will blink) and after 11 min the light will turn off. Then just start the engine and you are done.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 AM
mrcytech mrcytech is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 02 GA will not turn over

chuck's and 3100,

I followed your instructions, and it worked!!! Thanks for all the help, this was a life saver.
mrcytech
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 PM
dinkydaudoc dinkydaudoc is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 02 GA will not turn over

Does you key have the small chip that works at the key cylinder to activate the security system or to disable the start and run if someone attempts to "jimmy"? the reason I ask is that I am working on a 94 Buick park Ave with a security chip key and we can not get it to crank over after we fiddled with the security system control box under the dash when we mistakened it for the ECM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
mrcytech mrcytech is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 02 GA will not turn over

dinkydaudoc,

I don't believe that I have the keys with the chips, but I could be mistaken.

mrcytech
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts