-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-13-2008, 11:24 PM
GLFarnes's Avatar
GLFarnes GLFarnes is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Does exhaust manifold need gaskets?

I pulled the left exhaust manifold (1992 4.3 vortec) due to a broken off bolt at the pipe and found no gaskets between the head and the manifold. I had already bought some gaskets at the NAPA store, but had an amazing battle getting the manifold back on due to what I believe must be thermal contraction of the head. It's twenty degrees out and the manifold was about half a bolt hole off from one side to another. I heated it with a torch and got it to stretch enough to go on but then was unable to pull it back far enough to get the gaskets in. My question is if they don't come on it from the factory, do I need gaskets on there at all??? I have some pretty bloody, bruised up hands but will do it over if it needs them.
__________________
Astro Vans are the best snow buggies in Alaska.

1992 Bravada 4.3 Vortec Auto
1998 Astro 4.3 Vortec Auto
2000 Astro 4.3 Vortec Auto
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-14-2008, 01:30 AM
discnik discnik is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 548
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Does exhaust manifold need gaskets?

In my opinion this is a your judgement call. If the mating surfaces of both the manifold and cyclinder head are not overly pitted and thouroghly cleaned you should be alright without the gaskets. I personally would use the gaskets.

By the way they do make spreaders for the manifolds in-order to line up the holes. Chevy is notorious for shrinking manifolds.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
GLFarnes's Avatar
GLFarnes GLFarnes is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Does exhaust manifold need gaskets?

I guess I'll leave the gaskets out and run it that way at least for now. It has some more serious problems that I need to address. One is covered in a previous thread and the other may go away now that the trans has been serviced. If not the fun will go on. Thanks for the info anyway.

Cheers
__________________
Astro Vans are the best snow buggies in Alaska.

1992 Bravada 4.3 Vortec Auto
1998 Astro 4.3 Vortec Auto
2000 Astro 4.3 Vortec Auto
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Truck633's Avatar
Truck633 Truck633 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Does exhaust manifold need gaskets?

If you already have the gaskets, use 'em! You will be way less apt to develop an exhaust leak with them, than without.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
MT-2500's Avatar
MT-2500 MT-2500 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,690
Thanks: 5
Thanked 122 Times in 121 Posts
Re: Does exhaust manifold need gaskets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLFarnes
I guess I'll leave the gaskets out and run it that way at least for now. It has some more serious problems that I need to address. One is covered in a previous thread and the other may go away now that the trans has been serviced. If not the fun will go on. Thanks for the info anyway.

Cheers

Right on.
Oem is no gasket just steel to steel.
Do not use the gaskets.
They will burn out and make thing twice as bad.

Get a spreader bar to spread the manifold if bolt holes does not line up.
Most auto parts place tool departments have them.
Good Luck
__________________
Remember proper testing gives us the answer to many problems.
MT
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts