-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-24-2008, 01:57 AM
38racing 38racing is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wink 98' Bravada Starting problems

I've chased my tail with this for to long. I purchased 98' Bravada & love this truck. Only problem is it has trouble starting. Once it's running it runs great. Doesn't matter if you drive 5min. or 5hrs. It takes about 5 to 20 key flicks to get it started. It runs rough for a couple seconds(like it's loaded up) then it's fine. I've replaced the sending unit, fuel filter, coil, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. I'm getting 60psi at the fuel rails, but am still having problems. The check engine light just went off, not sure why, but I don't care it passed E-check. What I'm wondering is if there are known ignition switch problems for this year/model? Or could it be a crank sensor, o2 sensor, or some other easy fix? I would really appricate some input. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-24-2008, 07:51 AM
brcidd's Avatar
brcidd brcidd is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,312
Thanks: 2
Thanked 173 Times in 171 Posts
Re: 98' Bravada Starting problems

Put a test light on your ignition feed wire to the coil- it should stay light in "run" and in "start" mode-- I once had one with your symptoms- that did not have voltage in start or crank mode- it was the ignition switch- I proved it by jumping 12v to the feed wire- and it would start up every time...
__________________
Automotive A/C Engineer with:
'99 IH 4700 Toy Hauler
(2) '95 GEO Prizms both maroon
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2008, 06:27 PM
ericn1300's Avatar
ericn1300 ericn1300 is offline
AF Premium User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,068
Thanks: 7
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Re: 98' Bravada Starting problems

sounds like a dripping fuel injector causing a flooded condition. the cranking clears the excess fuel allowing the engine to start.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2008, 01:29 PM
evo-00 evo-00 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 98' Bravada Starting problems

Does your fuel pressure hold at 60 for 3-5 mins. after you shut the pump off?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Bravada


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts