-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-28-2008, 10:40 PM
builder77's Avatar
builder77 builder77 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 410
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WIP Tameo Mclaren MP4/6

While I wait for some parts to get here from Japan for the MP4/2 I thought I would do a quick build on another Mclaren.

The kit is a standard Tameo kit, a great starting point and with some work you can get a great looking kit!
There are some minor imperfections on the body that need to be filled in and cleaned.

I'm going to try some new techniques with this build so any tips or suggestions are welcome.

I started by sanding the entire body and drilling out all the holes that will fill in with paint through the building process.
I also used the back of a #11 knife to get the panel lines ready for the paint.









Here's a look at an area that needs cleaned up.




And after some work with a dremel we are making some progress.








We'll see if I can fill in some of the holes in the white metal. If this doesnt work I'll use putty but in the past I have found that putty and the metal havent worked that well. I do have different types of putty but wanted to try this technique anyway.


Here's a little trick I have found works for me. If your not careful you will file away or change the shape of the kit in other areas that your file is rubbing against. If I put some tape around the area, I at least keep better track of trouble areas or the areas I may be sanding away not meaning to and can build up several layers of tape to protect the rest of the body.




Thinning the edges.


Before


After


And the other side.






Getting closer.


I know the area above the drivers head is the wrong shape at this point and will be fixed later.

Thanks for looking and I will have another updates soon.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-04-2008, 02:06 PM
utzelu utzelu is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: WIP Tameo Mclaren MP4/6

Hi Chris,

You're on a great start with this kit. I am interested to see how the airbox scoop turns out, as I still don't have a definite method for addressing it.
__________________
Thanks and Regards,
utzelu


http://scalemodelsadventures.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts