-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Engineering/ Technical
Register FAQ Community
Engineering/ Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-23-2008, 11:15 PM
sooner016 sooner016 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Engine's hum is high pitched

I'm looking for a new car and recently test drove a 2004 mustang. I liked the car a lot--it had low miles and the dealer said he was willing to deal with me on the price--but I couldn't get other this kind of high pitched hum that the motor had.

It wasn't like a really high pitched, shrill sound or a whistle, but it was very noticably higher pitched than any engine I've ever heard. My dad, who knows much more about cars and engines than I do, didn't know why it sounded like that either. It wasn't something you had to strain to hear, it was very noticable.

Does anyone else have a mustang or any other car that sounds like that? It's hard to believe that the cars engine just naturally sounds like that, especially on a respected sports car like a mustang. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-24-2008, 03:08 AM
KiwiBacon KiwiBacon is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 849
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Engine's hum is high pitched

Was it supercharged or did it have an aftermarket intake system/air filter?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2008, 10:33 AM
sooner016 sooner016 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Engine's hum is high pitched

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBacon
Was it supercharged or did it have an aftermarket intake system/air filter?
I really don't know. If it had a supercharger, the dealership didn't know about it.

I was also just thinking, and I think that I mainly just heard the sound when it was idling and when I was accelerating.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Engineering/ Technical


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts