-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Sketching and Drawing
Register FAQ Community
Sketching and Drawing Sketchers and drawers in the house?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-15-2008, 11:13 AM
zacnay zacnay is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting into CARtooning? Tips/tricks?

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. My name is Zac Nay (I know this isn't the place for introductions, I'm getting to the point now).

So my 15-year-old son was recently hired on by one of his friends father's to draw and color all of the clipart for a site called UniversalClipart.com (it's a free clipart site). I know it's not the top quality clipart, but I'm proud of him anyway

So anyway, ever since he was 8 or 9, he has had the greatest passion for cars. Sadly, he has tried and failed many times to draw CARtoons. I know he's got the skill, but it seems like he's just got some part of the technique wrong... I'm no artist, so I was hoping someone here would be able to offer some advice?

Any feedback would be great, I'll be sure to forward on your responses to him.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Cartoonerz's Avatar
Cartoonerz Cartoonerz is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Getting into CARtooning? Tips/tricks?

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
To have skill is to practice. He will have to draw as much as he can to get that desired toon look . Also looking at CARtoons helps alot. Each drawing is based from a simple form; circle, square, rectangle etc. from there , you develop that form to what you like. You have to play with the perspective and angle alot , and sketch until your wrist can't take it, haha. I can also suggest to look within this forum for a room called Sketch. There's plenty of rough drawings that he could "study" and base his ideas from.

I started almost 7 years ago without knowing anything about car drawing and tooning. It just developped itself into a vision I had..until I found Duckstyle or toon or something like that ! I studied his style a bit, over and over...then found this forum, which helped me alot. There is amazing artists on this site and they offer great advise.
so just tell him to keep practicing and never stop, Even when you think you have the drawing right !

-Justin.
__________________

www.cartoonerz.com
The art of tooning.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 AM
lemorris's Avatar
lemorris lemorris is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,255
Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Send a message via AIM to lemorris Send a message via Yahoo to lemorris
Re: Getting into CARtooning? Tips/tricks?

Trosley is one of the greats and he's a great friend of mine.

http://www.georgetrosley.com

order his howto book or cd and it will be a resource you use the rest of your art career (or your son). Trosley has constantly encouraged and inspired me and I think he is just awesome.

My work looks nothing like his but the same fundamentals he applies are what I use in my approach.

Another thing that helps in tooning is being able to draw a real or in my case semi-real car. You need to know what is really there in order to effectively exaggerat and cartoon.

Have your son pick up a book on cariactures as well. Same methods apply.

Post some of his art...it'll help people here help him.

good luck

-Lemorris
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2008, 04:16 AM
2HB 2HB is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Getting into CARtooning? Tips/tricks?

I also recommend the Trosley book. I just got my copy after reading about it on this forum and it is full of good information. Another book I might recommend for more realistic cars would be "How to Draw Cars the HotWheels Way".

http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-Cars-...ref=pd_sim_b_2
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Blip's Avatar
Blip Blip is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,418
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Getting into CARtooning? Tips/tricks?

As others have already mentioned, practice, practice, practice and get some good reference books.
I also have Trosley's book and his work has inspirted much of my CAR-tooning.

Big Daddy Ed Roth was another of my heroes and I often use
a book of his artwork (linked below) as a quick reference:

http://books.google.com/books?id=dGA...um=4&ct=result

Best thing is to have him post some examples and we all can give him our thoughts on them.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Sketching and Drawing


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts