-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
Register FAQ Community
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-06-2008, 12:18 PM
gottadog gottadog is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
89 civic

guys im not sure the size of my axle nut. i tried a 30mm socket and it was too small. i want to know before i buy the 20 dollar socket and have to return it. also what oil goes in the tranny. i'm pulling the motor since its gone and replacing the clutch at the same time.

so far i have everything but the axles disconnected.

thanks for any help.

i'm also curious if its worth putting better synth oil in a tranny with over 300,000 miles on it.

thanks again
dario
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
eg.ob eg.ob is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 89 civic

I'm gonna suggest GM syncromesh for the tranny fluid, as for the axle nut, i use either a 1-1/4 socket or a 32mm
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2008, 04:06 PM
gottadog gottadog is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 89 civic

thanks dude. thats all i need. i dont think i'll buy gm fluid though. i'd prefer to go to napa, az, or kragens. or get it mailed. not a big fan of a dealer unless needed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Tony's Avatar
Tony Tony is offline
TLD Member #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,860
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Tony
Re: 89 civic

The GM Syncromesh, from what I have heard, is one of the best things for our transmissions. I haven't actually used it, but I usually just fill it with Castrol 10w30 and some Lucas if I think the transmission needs it.

As for the axle nuts: 32mm. I actually picked up a set of 1/2" Impact sockets from Harbor freight for $20 that went all the way to 32mm. I don't have a 1/2" wrench, just the breaker bar, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. Plus its impact sockets, even the cheap ones take a damn beating.
__________________
Tony


91 Civic Sedan DX - Stock 287k Miles
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Christ Christ is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,455
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Christ Send a message via Yahoo to Christ
Re: 89 civic

werd on that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 PM
dan89 dan89 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 129
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 89 civic

for the socket go to advance auto parts, i recently went there and they have a axle nut socket set that's a loaner... pay $50 and when you return it get it all back
__________________

click for my cardomain ^
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Tony's Avatar
Tony Tony is offline
TLD Member #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,860
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Tony
Re: 89 civic

Just go buy one, its worth it. Even a cheap impact socket will be perfectly fine. It is really hard to break an impact socket.

I like keeping my parts store trips to a minimum, and an axle nut socket is something you can use on a lot of jobs. Even though I can pull a engine/tranny without removing the axles from the spindle, but its easier that way sometimes.
__________________
Tony


91 Civic Sedan DX - Stock 287k Miles
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Christ Christ is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,455
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Christ Send a message via Yahoo to Christ
Re: 89 civic

As can I... but it's easier that way ALL the time... as far as I'm concerned lol... unless you end up rounding the axle nuts.. then I usually get a nut breaker in there and crack it in two places and replace the nut... either way, I still get those damn axles out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Tony's Avatar
Tony Tony is offline
TLD Member #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,860
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Tony
Re: 89 civic

Not really ALL the time. Most of the time if I'm just removing the engine/tranny, I leave the axles in the spindle because I don't see a reason to remove it...unless I'm having issues popping the axle out of the transmission, then I want the extra room and less weight on it. But other than that, its easier to just pop it out of the tranny, disconnect the lower ball joint, and pull the spindle out a little to clear the axle from the tranny.
__________________
Tony


91 Civic Sedan DX - Stock 287k Miles
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Christ Christ is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,455
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Christ Send a message via Yahoo to Christ
Re: 89 civic

OK, yeah... I do that SOMETIMES.. Not often though... I usually just pull the things out... just b/c it's easier for ME. lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-13-2008, 12:05 PM
gottadog gottadog is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 89 civic

well i bought honda mtf after looking up the gm stuff. i also got the motor/tranny out yesterday. i could have just left the axles in the spindles but i like removing them.

i'm getting excited i cant wait to get my civic back. i love the super good gas mileage. been driving my valiant the last few months and its so expensive.

thanks guys
dario
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 PM
2002corolla 2002corolla is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 89 civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
The GM Syncromesh, from what I have heard, is one of the best things for our transmissions. I haven't actually used it, but I usually just fill it with Castrol 10w30 and some Lucas if I think the transmission needs it.

As for the axle nuts: 32mm. I actually picked up a set of 1/2" Impact sockets from Harbor freight for $20 that went all the way to 32mm. I don't have a 1/2" wrench, just the breaker bar, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. Plus its impact sockets, even the cheap ones take a damn beating.
that is a good price...the one that I got (craftsman) was half that price already. The BasT*ard at honda made the civic and accord different sizes making me go out and get a 34mm...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
gottadog gottadog is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 89 civic

so today i got changed the rear main seal installed flywheel and clutch,tranny. swaped alot of the motor mount parts. and new oil pan gasket.

what kind of puller do you guys use to get the belt pulley off? the last one i had the pulley just pulled off. but this one wont budge. hoping for harbor freight to buy or az or kragens has a loaner, i just want to know what you guys are using, i noticed the length of the screw must be pretty long. since the pulley sticks out so much further then where the bolt goes into the crank.

is it worth putting on a camshaft seal now? or should i wait. i havent checked my manual to see whats involved at its at my friends house with my car.

thanks guys
dario
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 PM
Christ Christ is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,455
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Christ Send a message via Yahoo to Christ
Re: 89 civic

If you must use a puller, use a 3-jaw puller, and put the bolt back into the crank a few threads, so you don't damage the crank... those threads are very difficult to repair, and if you don't do it properly, you'll have an off-balance crank with everything bolted back on it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-16-2008, 04:37 AM
gottadog gottadog is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 89 civic

i got the motor installed and finished. got it started. i have to time the engine. i can tell its running retarded, but it runs and thats always good news. i guess i'm paranoid. lol

but when it started it was ticking. pretty sure its not the motor. i pushed in the clutch, and i did adjust it before starting the car. and the ticking was much much louder. and after about a minute it went away. just putting the car in reverse the ticking starts to fade away after a few seconds and then is gone till i start it again. i'm curious if anyone knows why it ticks every time i start it. if i let it idle with out touching anything the ticking goes away.

i drove the car about 7 miles so far, and even with the retarded timing its much faster then it was with the older motor. granted there was almost 400,000 miles on it.

anyway if anyone has a clue, please let me know. i'm very curious. i put in new honda mtf till it leaked outta the filler plug. i did notice the tranny is really rough at first then its super super smooth. i use to have to put it into second gear when coming to a stop just to get it into first. but after its ran a little bit its ultra smooth, and it falls into first.

thanks guys.

i'm so excited to get my honda back.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts