-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Engineering/ Technical
Register FAQ Community
Engineering/ Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-14-2008, 08:00 PM
domaindame domaindame is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any clues to my problem?

Just had both front upper ball joints, both lower ball joints and idler arm replaced and alignment adjusted. First time I took it out I immediatley noticed the ride was rough. Can feel a vibration in the steering wheel - like a slight washboard effect - the higher the speed the more pronounced. And when I brake I really get the washboard effect. Before I call back about this problem I would like to have some idea of what went wrong with the repair? Would appreciate any info!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2008, 07:27 AM
MagicRat's Avatar
MagicRat MagicRat is offline
Nothing scares me anymore
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,702
Thanks: 12
Thanked 82 Times in 77 Posts
Re: Any clues to my problem?

Welcome to AF.

Could you please tell us the make model and year of vehicle?

Although you have not mentioned this, I presume its a rear wheel drive car or truck given you have upper ball joints.

There are several items that can cause such a vibration, such as improperly adjusted or worn/damaged front wheel bearings or a badly worn front tire, or an imbalanced front tire.

This may have been a pre-existing condition, which you never noticed because of the worn and sloppy front end components. Now they are tight, the problem appears.

The alternative is the mechanic damaged something, or did not assemble something properly. I suggest to go back to the mechanic and discuss the issue with them. Avoid accusing them of doing something wrong but indicate to them you expect them to fix it for free. You want them to be frank and honest with you since it might not be their fault. But they should look for the problem.

If they want to charge you more money to fix it, feel free to let us know what they say before you go ahead with the extra work. They may or may not be justified in charging you extra.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2008, 11:02 AM
domaindame domaindame is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Any clues to my problem?

It's a 01 Olds Bravada with 117k miles. The tires are less than a year old and no worn spots and brakes/alignment were done about 6 months ago. I did make an appt. to take it back in Mon. Anyways, thanks for your reply MagicRat and if any problems come up I will let you know.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-2008, 09:31 PM
khooper khooper is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Any clues to my problem?

Don't worry, it usually just means that your tires have worn down a little and have gotten out of balance and need balancing, usually just one tire, though you pretty much have to balance them in pairs, because it's impossible to tell which one is the culprit.
__________________________
Spot my Performance parts blog
Drive Safely and Smile Freely
__________________


Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 PM
shorod's Avatar
shorod shorod is offline
SHO No Mo
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11,008
Thanks: 106
Thanked 359 Times in 350 Posts
Re: Any clues to my problem?

If the car is properly aligned, the steering and suspension is in good shape, and the tires started out balanced, they should not become out of balance as they wear.

I'd suspect that you have either two problems (out of balance tires and warped brake rotors) or a single issue such as worn steering/suspension parts. Those are the only ways I think you'd have vibration at speed AND when braking. Either way, you need to get it checked out and repaired soon for your safety, the safety of your passengers, and the safety of your fellow motorists/pedestrians/bikers.

-Rod
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-27-2008, 09:17 PM
domaindame domaindame is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Any clues to my problem?

Thanks for your replies. I did take the car back in and they said maybe I was feeling the rusted rotars in the back?? It doesn't jive because when I apply the parking brake it is smooth as silk. And when I said what about the brake warning lights coming on they said I either had to live with it or buy a new sensor which is several hundred dollars - they had no explanation as to why it suddenly came on after their repair. I am not happy about this at all...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2008, 07:27 AM
MagicRat's Avatar
MagicRat MagicRat is offline
Nothing scares me anymore
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,702
Thanks: 12
Thanked 82 Times in 77 Posts
Re: Any clues to my problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaindame
Thanks for your replies. I did take the car back in and they said maybe I was feeling the rusted rotars in the back?? It doesn't jive because when I apply the parking brake it is smooth as silk. And when I said what about the brake warning lights coming on they said I either had to live with it or buy a new sensor which is several hundred dollars - they had no explanation as to why it suddenly came on after their repair. I am not happy about this at all...
Did you feel the "washboard effect" of the brakes before the repair? Bad rear rotors can cause this problem as well, so in that the mechanic may be correct.
And no, bad rear rotors are not detectable when using the parking brake because that brake is applied when the vehicle is stopped.

I suggest take the truck to a different mechanic for a second opinion to see if the rear brakes and sensor are actually bad.
Also, avoid the big chain shops of brake and muffler repair places. They tend to oversell parts replacement instead of repair. Find a good independant local garage if possible.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Engineering/ Technical


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts