-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-30-2008, 07:09 PM
emc73 emc73 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
96 sc2 noises

Ok so I have a 96 sc2 manual with 209k on it. I have a noise, a hi pitched squeal, that started awhile ago (9-12 mo), but only when frist started and would go away in a few second unless I turned the headlights or wipers on, or brake lights, then would last maybe 5-15 sec. Figured it to be the belt slipping , and didn't worry too much since it wasn't all the time. Now, the other day when I left work, it did it, but stayed on for several minutes but finally went away. So, I took a look at the pullies, since this time it didn't have the sound of a belt. I replaced the idiler and the alternator, everything else looked good. Drove for 2 days...fine. 3rd day I woke the neighborhood with this noise again. The tenisonor looks good. I had the pully off, bearings are ok and the assembly seems to keep tension. I also can induce the noise with the a/c, but not all the time.

any help?

also I have this pinging/rattiling noise form the same area while I'm driving, usually under 2k rpm, or if its chuggin a little.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-2008, 06:23 AM
RC1488 RC1488 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 982
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 96 sc2 noises

Tske the belt off and start the car for 30 Seconds ONLY!. If you hear the noise still then you will know it has nothing to do with the pulleys or belt and is an internal engine problem. If you dont hear the noise its a belt/pulley issue. How long ago was the belt replaced? The tensioner? At 200K miles it about time some of the original stock parts get replaced.
__________________
Present: '02 Sl1 Man '01 SC1 Man '97 Sl2 Auto '96 SL2 Auto '95 SC2 Man
Past: '99 Sl2 Auto '97 Sl2 Man '98 SL2 Man '95 Sl2 Man '95 Sl2 Man '94 Sl2 man
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 AM
emc73 emc73 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 96 sc2 noises

ok so i replaced the tensionor. noise seems to be gone. but now the battery light comes on intermittingly. ive rechecked all the connections. so before i pull the alt again, what can i do? is there a voltage regulator?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts