-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-15-2008, 07:01 PM
1968 Pontiac's Avatar
1968 Pontiac 1968 Pontiac is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ignition switch adjustment?

I replaced the ignition switch in my 1991 Caprice because the car wouldn't shut off when the key was turned to the off position. I could turn it off with the remote though. Anyway, I installed a new ignition switch today, but now I have another problem: sometimes I can't turn the key far enough to engage the starter. Again, I can start it with the remote, then turn the key to the run position and everything is ok. I have a factory manual and it mentions about adjusting the switch, but I can't find anywhere in the book where it shows how, and there's no reference to it in the index. Any help would be appreciated.
__________________
1949 Chevrolet 1433 (Canadian 1 ton cab and chassis single rear wheel pick-up truck)
1968 Pontiac Parisienne (rust free survivor)
1973 Buick Centurion (four door hardtop; engine will be donated to our 1949 1 ton truck)
1989 Chevrolet K3500 RC/LB (454 & single rear wheels)
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic (police cruiser clone)
1992 Chevrolet K2500 EC/SB (almost rust free daily driver)
1998 GMC C1500 EC/SB
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2008, 07:29 PM
CD Smalley CD Smalley is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,219
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Ignition switch adjustment?

The mount of the switch should have had ovals rather than straight holes. Loosen the screws a little bit and move it the direction you need.
__________________
CD

1991 W41 #142
1989 Caprice 9C1
1997 C1500
1997 Bonnie SE
1998 Olds 98 LS

Recently updated: http://forums.b-body.org



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
1968 Pontiac's Avatar
1968 Pontiac 1968 Pontiac is offline
AF Regular
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Ignition switch adjustment?

Thanks CD. The mounting bracket did have slots in it for adjustment. I played with it tonight and now the car starts and turns off perfectly. Only thing that doesn't work properly is the accessories position; I have to hold the key in that position, but I'm not concerned about that. BTW, it wasn't a GM part. I bought an Echlin part from NAPA which may explain the problem.
__________________
1949 Chevrolet 1433 (Canadian 1 ton cab and chassis single rear wheel pick-up truck)
1968 Pontiac Parisienne (rust free survivor)
1973 Buick Centurion (four door hardtop; engine will be donated to our 1949 1 ton truck)
1989 Chevrolet K3500 RC/LB (454 & single rear wheels)
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic (police cruiser clone)
1992 Chevrolet K2500 EC/SB (almost rust free daily driver)
1998 GMC C1500 EC/SB
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 AM
randy78 randy78 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 481
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to randy78 Send a message via Skype™ to randy78
Re: Ignition switch adjustment?

the rod could be bent some

its not because its an echlin


sounds like the ignition switch needs to slide upwards on the housing a tiny hair more RE of the accessories position issue

typically there is one phillips head for adjusting position and two hex head screws to lock the position, altogether

but that may vary



good luck
__________________
I also am user fastr68 here- Randy
-'54 F100 302 C-6 -'57 F100 -'57 Bel Air HT 307 4spd '57 210 HT 4dr 265 3spd -'68 corvair monza convertible w/ PG -'79 C-20 -'80 K-20 -'82 K-10 SS -'82 TRANS AM WS7 HT 5.0L TH350 2400 stall blue/blue level III PMD cloth PG hood -'85 Elky SS 310ci 2004r fully restored 2008 -'88 buick century estate wagon 3800 4t40e, 91 s-10 2wd 4.3L, 96 taurus, '97 cavalier RS 2.2L, 5sd -'05 18ft car trailer, 98 achieva, 98 cherokee,
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts