-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Armedgentleman Armedgentleman is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SL1 Blowby?

One of the old tricks I learned when looking at used vehicles is to take the oil filler cap off and feel for escaping pressure. This was to see how much blowby or pressure was escaping past worn piston rings. Today I looked at a 1998 SL1 with about 110k miles on the engine. When I pulled the oil cap off, there was substantial pressure coming out the hole at idle. The woman who owned it said it didn't use oil. It ran great otherwise.
Is it normal on the Sl1 to feel so much hot air escaping the oil filler hole when running? I have not noticed this in other vehicles I have looked lately. I usually feel a pulstaing type effect where you can feel it blowing and sucking, indicating simple piston up and down displacement, which I think is normal.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts