-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Tippy280 Tippy280 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A simple pigtail is all I need.

All I want to do is reconnect the resistor pak for a Ford Focus 2001. The pigtail is burnt/broken but the resistor pak tests fine with a voltmeter. I can't see how Ford can ask $43 for just a pigtail conection. I feel 2 wire connectors and some shrink tubing should work the same. Any suggestion, would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Selectron Selectron is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 658
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Re: A simple pigtail is all I need.

I'm not sure what type of connector you mean by a pigtail connector, but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't replace the stock connector with a suitable substitute, providing you:

1. Use wire of the same, or heavier, gauge.

2. Use a connector which is adequately rated for the applied current.

3. Make a good job of soldering, or crimping, the connections.

4. Waterproof the work as far as possible, so heatshrink tubing would be good.

Your original connector will have failed for one of two reasons:

1. Corrosion - this would have introduced some resistance, and when you pass current through a resistance you will always dissipate heat at that point - hence the burn marks on the original connector.

2. Arcing, caused by a loose fit - this would burn away the metal surfaces, loosening the fit further still and allowing corrosion to develop, thus introducing extra resistance and therefore localised heating, as above.

Before plugging the two new ends together, I'd smear them liberally with petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or dielectric grease - this will lock out any atmospheric moisture, and thus inhibit future corrosion.

If you're confident that you can make a tidy, reliable, waterproof job of it then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't fit your own connectors.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts