-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Register FAQ Community
Wheels/Tires/Suspension All the handling help you need. No matter what Honda/Acura you drive.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-05-2008, 09:36 PM
Wildcats8530 Wildcats8530 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2002 civic having shaking problems in steering wheel

When I first bought the car it had 16in after market rims. I had no steering or steering wheel shaking problems. I remember I bent 3 of my rims. I dont remember the tires I had but I messed those up as well. So I replaced my rims with icw's 16 inches and riken rapters, 205 40 16. At first when I had the 1st rims I had, I didnt know my rims where bent or I had bad tires. I remember getting a shake. I got the 16s because I didnt have enough to get the 18s I wanted.
I would have a shake in my steering wheel at low speeds and high speeds. After a while, it would only occur at high speeds, and then go back and forth. I literally took it to 10 different places and they said my ball joints and tie rod was fine. Those 10 different places balanced and did alignment as well. This shake was going on for a long time. Sometimes it would go away and sometimes it wont. I even took it to a honda dealer and they said nothing was wrong with it.
In october of 07, for some reason when I break it would pull to the right and i got my bearings, rotors, pads and breaks redone. It helped for about 3 months and its doing the same thing again. Since the end of Jan it all of a sudden stopped.
Between when my steering wheel would shake, I spent around 1k in balancing and alignments and another 600 on a rack pinion and I dont remember, and alot on kyb struts in the summer.
So I got my taxes back and upgraded to a 18 inch rim. They are Kumo tires 225 40 18. And they are still doing the same thing as when I had the 16 inch rims. This time with the 18s, instead of pulling to the right when I break, they pull to the left and it shakes even worse. It shakes at all speeds. I had a friend who moved and he said he had similar problems but he had 17s on his civic. He suggested hub centric rings and a camber kit. I can prolly get the rimbs cheap. Do you think he is right? Would that help it to not cause it to go out of balance and alignment? If I need a camber kit, can anyone find some for me or what ever? I looked and I cant seem to find the right ones. If anyone could help please, I am really annoyed and quiet pissed off because I spent so much money on my car when I believe I shouldnt of. I dont want to spend more and it still wont fix the problem.

I actually got the hub centric rings today and it helped until I hit the interstate. And it started to shake at 65+ and when i took it off the interstate it would shake at all speeds. It also shakes when I turn. It is easier to turn to the right then it is to the left. I posted this on another forum and no one could help like always, So i reposted it here.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts