-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-23-2008, 01:31 PM
caddy57 caddy57 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New head gasket install

95 3.8 w/60000
I had new head gaskets installed as well as plugs, wires,thermistat,hoses, and belt. It now runs perfect. I was letting it warm up this morning and noticed that there was anti-freeze dripping out of the drivers side in back of the front door. I think it is the rear heater leaking, because after I saw this I shut off the rear heat and no more leaking. I am assuming that there is a valve that shuts down coolent flow when U shut off heater. Am I correct? Also would anyone think it was heater core or line. Been to cold for a visuale inspection as of yet, just want some idea's on what to look for. Thanks in advance
Steve
__________________
caddy57
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2008, 02:28 AM
tripletdaddy tripletdaddy is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,132
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: New head gasket install

I certainly would check the lines that go from the engine to the rear heater core with the core being my second choice too be leaking. The heater lines split behind the engine to go to the two heaters. I am not aware of any valves in the heater system anywhere except the thermostat. I can't recall the exact reason, but it was found to be better to have a system that had the fluid always circulating through the heater cores and the temperature would be controlled by mixing cooler air or not allowing any air go past the core with a blend door. My faint recollection is that the cores tended to plug up when a valve was used but keeping the fluid always moving tended to keep that from happening. Is there any chance water got into the heater area from the repairs, say a flush job, and later froze when outside? I looked in my maual. but it didn't cover this, and I haven't looked at mine to know. You should at least open the access panel that is just below the back controls on rhe side panel and take a look see. Please let us know what you find,
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2008, 06:02 AM
caddy57 caddy57 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New head gasket install

Thanks for quick reply. I find it really odd that the leak stopped when the rear heater shuts down. Thats why I thought there would be a valve. I will have a look and see whats going on as soon as temp goes up. Only 6 here this morning so have to wait. Does anyone have a link to removing the panel in the rear. Have ordered a ford manual, but hasn't arrived yet.
Steve
__________________
caddy57
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 AM
tripletdaddy tripletdaddy is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,132
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Re: New head gasket install

I had a chance to look under my 95 winny and was going to tell you that I looked at the lines where they entered the back of the van and there was no valve visible. Well, I don't know how I missed it yesterday, but I just opened my Haynes manual and low and behold they have a picture of the lines entering the underside of the van with a valve on one of the heater lines. With more thought, reading and observation, I believe the picture is of a newer model, as the pictured lines don't look exactly like what I saw. I may have missed it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see a valve or one like in the picture. Which leads me to believe, you may very well have a valve based on what you described, but it would be inside the van wall. Or you do have what is in the picture and I don't. Hopefully you can isolate the leak to under the van. Have you smelled coolant inside? I'd think you would if it was leaking inside.

To just get to the the lines, core, coil, and fan and not all of the ductwork, you only need to open a oval like panel that is held by trim clips. It is best to remove the middle seat to get at it. You may need to expose below the access panel, which is more involved taking out the rear seat and the entire trim panel. Removing the whole assembly means discharging the ac and draining the coolant. Haynes has some pictures and autozone.com has some, you just need to poke around the chasis electrical section which contains the hvac stuff.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
caddy57 caddy57 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: New head gasket install

Checked out the hoses today. There is an inlet valve and hose was bad at that point. Replaced and fixed. Thanks so much for the link as it really helped.
Steve
__________________
caddy57
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Windstar


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts