|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
|||||||
![]() |
Show Printable Version |
Subscribe to this Thread
|
|
|
Thread Tools |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
I bought a 1998 SL2 last night. Needed a commuter car so I didn't put the miles on my F250 lifted diesel.
I think I got a fair deal. Not a steal, but a deal ($2500). Original 91k miles. Last 4 yrs she put 7k miles on it. She was a student moving to Spain. White in color and all one color. No accidents shown. Ok. Had to replace the brakes today. Had them done. $135 new pads and turned all four rotors/drums. I did the tune-up myself (hadn't had to worry much about this in years with my diesel). Did NGK and new air filter and new hose from valve cover to intake. Cleaned out throttle body with carb cleaner and put fuel injection cleaner in the gas with 91 octane to clean her out. Did I miss anything? All four tires were just replaced. So, I was saved there Found out the radiator has a crack. Plastic I guess? Ordered it online for $79 shipped w/lifetime warranty. Straight forward install? She also has a oil leak. It is coming from valve cover. Local shop wanted $200 to replace and replace some other item. Forget name, so the oil doesn't go into the plugs? The car has ok HP. Am I thinking it should be more because I am used to driving my "chipped" truck? The hesitation seems to have left with this morning tune-up. Any tricks get get a few more MPG or HP? I think the motor mount is bad. I heard someone say this might be an issues with these? Slight vib from motor. When I go from drive to reverse and do it quick there is a clunk. Motor mount? The exhaust. It's loud and stock. I assume it has a hole? Or, is it more a exhaust manifold gasket? Which is more common? Last, the fog lights. They don't turn on. Fuse or bulbs? Thanks for reading and any input would be great Last edited by DRPowerStroke8170; 01-29-2008 at 09:25 AM. |
|
#2
|
||||||||
|
||||||||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Quote:
![]() Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
also check the headlights as they like to rattle. along with the muffler as the muffler straps like to go and it will just sit on the rear cross member banging around. a new strap is about $35 at the dealer. Quote:
Quote:
Check your oil every week!!! the S-series love to eat oil so untill you get an idea of how much it burns check it every week. Saturns dont die. people kill them by not checking the oil. Change it every 3k with filter also. this will help the car last MUCH longer. If an automatic, change the ATF fluid and filter every 30k. Good luck and happy driving! |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Quote:
Thanks for your input! |
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Good call on the ECTS.
![]() How about the fuel filter? When you do the valve cover don't forget to use a little RTV sealant. Even with the Felpro I had leaks until I used the RTV. Watch the oil consumption on your Saturn there are known to use oil. |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Quote:
Thanks for input! |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Quote:
motor mounts...not sure. you'll have to do some research on that one or another member can tell you this site has some good responses http://www.streetdesignauto.com/index.htm?c64.htm&1 |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Quote:
Thanks |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Quote:
anyway, yes its in the back right (drivers side) of the engine bay. its under the brake master cylinder. its silver and cylindrical. accessing it i believe is best from underneath. EDIT: the '98-'02 years moved the fuel filter to the drivers side REAR underneath the back drivers side door. unforutnetly this part is about $95 as the regulator is built in. however, the Chevy s-10 2.2L fuel filter is the EXACT same thing and costs 1/2 as much. |
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Quote:
Thanks for your help! |
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Quote:
|
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Quote:
Napa says $54/part #3100 and they have it as two different parts number the I posted was for '01 S10.Thanks! |
|
#12
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Just bought a 1998 Saturn SL2/Automatic
Quote:
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|