-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Suburban-99 Suburban-99 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
99 Suburban Transfer Case Fluid Leak

I have a 99 Suburban and the fluid from the transfer case tends to leak out over a period of time. I have not been able to specifically identify the leak location as everything tends to be oily around this area and was wondering if anyone can provide any insight of similiar problems. I was wondering if transfer case seal is probably the problem. And if so if there are any hints/tips for this replacement. I'm not that experience in automotive overhaul actions but I did complete the intake gasket replacements as listed by Suburban 97 on here (not a novice but not a pro either). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, by the way I just found this forum and have to admit it is GREAT!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2008, 05:46 PM
wafrederick wafrederick is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 99 Suburban Transfer Case Fluid Leak

There is a gasket between the transfer case and the housing on the transmission.I believe it uses the special blue fluid that is a dealer only for the transfer case and not ATF.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Suburban-99 Suburban-99 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 99 Suburban Transfer Case Fluid Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick
There is a gasket between the transfer case and the housing on the transmission.I believe it uses the special blue fluid that is a dealer only for the transfer case and not ATF.
Humm first I heard of this blue fluid, I have been putting in the regular stuff per my owner's manual specs. Do you happen to know where I can find a service bulletin on this or anything like that.
Also wondering if anyone has experienced this fluid lost issue and what was their problem.
Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
wafrederick wafrederick is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 99 Suburban Transfer Case Fluid Leak

GM starting putting it in their transfer cases about 1999 and it is called Auto Trac II about $6.00 a quart from the dealer only.It even works better in the early Oldsmobile Bravada transfer cases than the ATF.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2008, 03:49 PM
troy1 troy1 is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,236
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 99 Suburban Transfer Case Fluid Leak

2 main leak areas besides seals is the rubber plug on top which has been updated (cheaper from the chrysler dealer) and the pump wears a hole on the passenger side of the rear T-case half on one of the ribs about 1/4 way up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2008, 04:24 PM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: 99 Suburban Transfer Case Fluid Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy1
2 main leak areas besides seals is the rubber plug on top which has been updated (cheaper from the chrysler dealer) and the pump wears a hole on the passenger side of the rear T-case half on one of the ribs about 1/4 way up.
one new transfer case please! tracII only
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Suburban-99 Suburban-99 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 99 Suburban Transfer Case Fluid Leak

Wow!!! New transfer case, now I was not expecting that. Guess I will have to get under there and see exactly where the fluid is leaking out. At least I know of a couple high probably locations. Unfortuately I just had disk removal surgery in my neck so it will be a few months before I undertake this. Thanks for all the replies and if anyone else has experienced this problem please feel free to drop a response even if it confirms one of the previous possibilities.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 AM
16th hippy 16th hippy is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 587
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 99 Suburban Transfer Case Fluid Leak

a leak is a leak, but if too dirty/oily to find, then clean the area(brake cleaner works ok), fill to correct level with fluid, and recheck in a week or so. hope it is the cheaper route of a seal and not the casing. best of luck!
__________________
Disclaimer: I am not perfect, i may be wrong in my advice from time to time. Also note that any advice given is as is with no warranty whatsoever, and i have zero liability if you get hurt for not being safe while working on your vehicle.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts