-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-02-2003, 09:54 PM
offroadmike offroadmike is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Untraditionalized 360 Spider.

I'm going to buy a new 360 Spider and I'm thinking of painting it in a less traditional colour.

Heres some pics of the colour I want.







The bikes Pictured are a Ducati 916 Senna, MV Agusta SPR and MV Agusta Senna.

The colours are all a version of Matte Black, some lighter than others.

I was just wondering what Tamiya colouyr best matches these?

TS6 Matt Black or TS38 Gun Metal?

Tell me what you's think and if you have any pics of these colour post them please.

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2003, 12:29 AM
hiver77's Avatar
hiver77 hiver77 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess if you're not going for the glossy look, the Tamiya Matt Black would look good.

May I also suggest Model Master Gunmetal metalizer spray can (or airbrush if you prefer)? This wont be glossy, but I guess that's the look you're looking for.
__________________
In the finishing stage:

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2003, 06:29 AM
ZoomZoomMX-5's Avatar
ZoomZoomMX-5 ZoomZoomMX-5 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,085
Thanks: 66
Thanked 119 Times in 92 Posts


This model was painted with Tamiya Metallic Black with no clearcoat, to look like a modern rat-rod. It sprays on smooth but with a satin finish that is probably similar to what you are looking for. You can always overcoat a gloss finish with flat clear paint for the same effect.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2003, 07:46 PM
offroadmike offroadmike is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll try the mettalic black because that truck looks great.

I've just gotta figure out a way to mix in some red accents on the body to contrast the black. I'll probably do a red interior, red brake calipers, and carfuly select some other exterior parts to make red also.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Sidewinder-03's Avatar
Sidewinder-03 Sidewinder-03 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 307
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some years back I mixed Testors gloss black with Testors silver and made a color similar to that bike.Unfortunatly,I can't remember the ratio I used,but it looked killer.:ylsuper
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-03-2003, 08:50 PM
hiver77's Avatar
hiver77 hiver77 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
how about a coat of semi-gloss over metallic black?
__________________
In the finishing stage:

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Jay! Jay! is offline
Horizontally Opposed
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,856
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Make the body metallic black, and paint the headlight surrounds red. :coolguy: Maybe the taillight surrounds red, too (the whole back bar).
__________________
Hierarchy of Subaru:
Brat > Coupes > Wagons > Sedans > Baja
(Click to see mine!)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2003, 07:04 AM
ZoomZoomMX-5's Avatar
ZoomZoomMX-5 ZoomZoomMX-5 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,085
Thanks: 66
Thanked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jay@af
Make the body metallic black, and paint the headlight surrounds red. :coolguy: Maybe the taillight surrounds red, too (the whole back bar).
Also think about doing part of the mirrors red, and do the wheels w/a red center with a chrome/aluminum lip. Perhaps even detail the front grilles w/some red on just the outside edges of the cross bars (leaving mostly black). It could go further, with the intake areas on the body sides being red, but I don't think having a lot of red areas will help-it needs some restraint.

For instance, if the front grilles are detailed red, leave the headlight buckets black. Either-or. If the mirrors are detailed in red, make sure at least 1/2 to 2/3 of them are left black...just detail the outer/upper surface as a graphic element. It would be cool to see a red door handle, followed by a red outline of the upper side scoop, but that would be tricky to mask and paint. Same for the lower scoop. I think the taillight panel would look good if it were mostly black, just paint the outer edge of it red. Paint the recessed areas of the body around the exhaust outlets red-but detail the mesh area black. Lots of subtle ideas, hopefully some of them can be accomplished so it looks "factory".

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts