-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 PM
yakko yakko is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need to know what engine will fit blazer

Engine go boom. Getting some guys to change out engine about as cheap as it can be done.

We're going to get a used engine and I'm hoping to find out if anyone can tell me which other GM cars/trucks I can choose from.

I have a 99 Chevy Blazer 4WD V6.

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2007, 11:44 PM
DelCoch's Avatar
DelCoch DelCoch is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Need to know what engine will fit blazer

Best to get the same engine from same type vehicle, otherwise there will be issues with the on-board computer. Check with a bone yard, they have the cross-reference books (data base) and can look up what will swap out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-17-2007, 04:13 PM
ricnor ricnor is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need to know what engine will fit blazer

yakko, did you find anything out about what engines fit the blazer. I have just bought a 1999 4x4 with a seazed engine (have no info as to why it seazed from previous owner but it is solid), can't turn it with a bar on the crank pulley and I've taken the starter out incase that had seazed and was stopping the engine but no, all plugs out and still no movement. Over here in the UK we don't have many places for salvage of Yank motors but I have managed to fing a 4.3l Vortec engine from a mid 90's Astro and would like to know if I could fit this into the Blazer so any info would be helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-17-2007, 09:28 PM
blazes9395's Avatar
blazes9395 blazes9395 is offline
Newbie mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,477
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Need to know what engine will fit blazer

Pretty much the '96 and up to about '02. The '96 -'99 are all interchangable, with the newer engines, there may be some differences(no EGR).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-19-2007, 02:44 AM
ricnor ricnor is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need to know what engine will fit blazer

Thanks for the information, I will remove the engine over the Christmas break and have a look to see what has seazed, by the looks of it the water pump has been leaking and so it might be pistons seazed in the bores if the previous owner ran it dry without knowing. If it is rebuildable then I will probably go that route rather than a swap with an engine I don't really know about, although I have been assured that it is fine and I can see it running.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-20-2007, 02:36 AM
yakko yakko is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need to know what engine will fit blazer

I've heard from outside sources that the vortec 4.3 is a pretty standard issue engine for GM through the 90s. Only problem is that they all sit differently in the compartment so you may need to change out the oil pan and everything on top to get it to fit.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-20-2007, 03:41 AM
ricnor ricnor is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need to know what engine will fit blazer

I was kind of thinking that would be the case, basically the main block and heads would be the same but the pans, exhaust manifolds and brackets would be vehicle specific so that's good to know. The other change maybe compression ratio's and cam profile for different applications but getting it running with any ratio's or cams will be a bonus. Cheers for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 AM
herkyhawki herkyhawki is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 390
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need to know what engine will fit blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko
I've heard from outside sources that the vortec 4.3 is a pretty standard issue engine for GM through the 90s. Only problem is that they all sit differently in the compartment so you may need to change out the oil pan and everything on top to get it to fit.
Take the advice already given by blazes9395. Use 1996 to 2002. Your "outside sources" do not know about casting changes on the block, and machining changes on the crankshaft in1994 &1995. If you use an engine older than 96 you may find out too late that the crank position sensor is impossible without a new$$ crankshaft.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-20-2007, 05:12 PM
ricnor ricnor is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 91
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need to know what engine will fit blazer

Thanks for the extra info, I will definately be removing the engine to see what has gone wrong and will then decide what way forward, I would rather rebuild the engine in it than do a swap but will make sure that whatever if I do a swap that it is 96 or newer, as I said at the begining V6 Chevy engines are hard to find over here with only about three american car breakers in the whole country.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:58 AM
383s10's Avatar
383s10 383s10 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Need to know what engine will fit blazer

I have see a 572 cid stuffed in a S10, so i don't see why you couldn't with a blazer. I have seen anything from 134 cid to 572 in s-trucks, so your choices are pretty big.

If you were to swap out the intake and pan, you could run a 4.3 from S-series blazers from 93-on if vortec headed, and 4.3 from 94-on S-truck if vortec headed.
__________________
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts