-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > G6
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 AM
darshir's Avatar
darshir darshir is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to Remove The CD radio

Hi All,
I was given a new CD radio system for my 2005 G6. Does anyone have any instructions as to how to take out the factory installed CD radio?

Thanks
Darwin
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-13-2007, 12:46 PM
grfnkl's Avatar
grfnkl grfnkl is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to grfnkl
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Sure not a problem. here's a link on how to remove the radio on the g6. Just scoll down to the section for the G6 specifically. Good luck.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2007, 12:57 PM
darshir's Avatar
darshir darshir is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Thanks, this manual is a keeper.

Darwin
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM
grfnkl's Avatar
grfnkl grfnkl is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to grfnkl
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Your welcome and Good luck!
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2008, 11:23 AM
timurdi timurdi is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Hey, Gm is actually now trying to stop odometer fraud, they make it more difficult on these cars for this reason, most perps were diconnecting the cluster from behind to stop the miles from adding up, now if that is done, the miles still add up because the factory radio records them as well, so in order for the miles to stop adding up, you would have no functioning gauges, radio, cd, info, fuel etc, this was the main reason for this design and many others like it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
grfnkl's Avatar
grfnkl grfnkl is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to grfnkl
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

The radio does not control the odometer in anyway. The BCM has a memory chip in it that remembers the mileage on the car... and if that fails she speedo cluster has a back-up memory chip in it as well. The Radio on the 6's does have the extra DIC feature which gives you the trip odometer but that's it. So people can still change their head units out on there G6's if they want... and they make kits so you can keep the DIC controls on a separate unit.
__________________



Last edited by grfnkl; 04-18-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
timurdi timurdi is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Your reply sounds alot more accurate, I called Thompson pontiac and some 22-25 year old service rep said the radio has to stay in to control the mileage but theECM is actually where it is processed. Those deaers will say anything to make you feel answered, A simple I dont know would suffice, but then their customers would be unsure of there ability and an I dont know does not sound good, they are probably trained not to say I dont know to a customer. Anyway here isa question, I have a 2007 G6 GT covertable and there is an awful rattling coming from the inside of the quarter panel ares, mainly the right side, any ideas, also how can the govorner be removed, it shuts down at like 118 MPH or so, I got that 3.9 sport package andlive in an area with big wide open abadonedhighays at early hours so I would like to try ot the power but it shuts down, it feels like the gas just stops to the engine even if the pedal is to the floor, then when it slows down to about105ish it goes again only to shut off at 115-118, if I had known this, I may have thought twice about getting it, can itbe adjusted or removed???? also, where is the ECM??? is it under the passenger kick panel, does the ecm control the governer as well a s the odo??? can I get an after market with no governer, disconnect the governer....HELP
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-18-2008, 09:11 AM
timurdi timurdi is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Your reply sounds alot more accurate, I called Thompson pontiac and some 22-25 year old service rep said the radio has to stay in to control the mileage but theECM is actually where it is processed. Those deaers will say anything to make you feel answered, A simple I dont know would suffice, but then their customers would be unsure of there ability and an I dont know does not sound good, they are probably trained not to say I dont know to a customer. Anyway here isa question, I have a 2007 G6 GT covertable and there is an awful rattling coming from the inside of the quarter panel ares, mainly the right side, any ideas, also how can the govorner be removed, it shuts down at like 118 MPH or so, I got that 3.9 sport package andlive in an area with big wide open abadonedhighays at early hours so I would like to try ot the power but it shuts down, it feels like the gas just stops to the engine even if the pedal is to the floor, then when it slows down to about105ish it goes again only to shut off at 115-118, if I had known this, I may have thought twice about getting it, can itbe adjusted or removed???? also, where is the ECM??? is it under the passenger kick panel, does the ecm control the governer as well a s the odo??? can I get an after market with no governer, disconnect the governer....HELP
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 AM
grfnkl's Avatar
grfnkl grfnkl is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to grfnkl
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

dealers will tell you things like that to hold people back from changing out radios among other things and screwing up electrical components of the car.

For the rattle, your just gonna have to hunt down the source of the noise. It could be the supports to the roof that need tightening could be a loose piece of plastic.

For the Speed limiter. Your best bet would be to get a tune for your ECM. It will allow you to go faster and get better MPG...depending on the tune you get. I know they have an 87 tune which allows the car to run on 87 gas, and a 93 tune which requires the car to run on 93 octane. After the tune you will have to do a case relearn though. The last i had heard the ecm should be somewhere on the passenger side kick panel. I haven't dug mine out yet.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM
timurdi timurdi is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Hey, what is a tune for the ECM, where do I get one, can I do it myself? how much does it or they cost???
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM
grfnkl's Avatar
grfnkl grfnkl is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to grfnkl
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurdi
Hey, what is a tune for the ECM, where do I get one, can I do it myself? how much does it or they cost???
PM being sent.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
timurdi timurdi is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Ok, I got it, I need some advice though, I dont wanna get ripped off. I found a shop that will do a 93 octane tune, he claims it will increase speed limiter from stock 115 to 130 add hjorsepower, increase shifting perfomance by quicker shifts, etc, My question is, I have a 07' G6 GT convertable with a 3.9 engine, it has this option on the stick so I can use it as a manual or auto, when used as a manual will the shift be quicker too or only whe in auto (D)? he said 550 bucks for the tune, is that too much for what I have, is there a tune to completely remove the speed limiter?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-18-2008, 11:28 AM
grfnkl's Avatar
grfnkl grfnkl is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to grfnkl
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

the tune will only increase the speed limiter but not remove it entirely. once you hit the 120 mark in these cars they get awefully light and squirrely so i would be careful one wanting to go that fast... and non the less in a vert. I don't know of any that removes the limiter though. The shifting will improve for the automatic trans. The manual mode shouldn't change much or at all since you are in control of the shifts. The price doens't sound bad I believe thats about the going rate... I know some people have gotten it cheaper and some have paid more but I believe thats about the average.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-04-2008, 10:46 PM
A-Dog A-Dog is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by grfnkl
Sure not a problem. here's a link on how to remove the radio on the g6. Just scoll down to the section for the G6 specifically. Good luck.
Hey, the link you listed is now dead. Can anyone repost?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-14-2008, 02:31 PM
grfnkl's Avatar
grfnkl grfnkl is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to grfnkl
Re: How to Remove The CD radio

Sorry for the delay I haven't been on as much recently Here's a new link which I know will work with the radio removal for the g6.... LINK
__________________


Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > G6


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts