-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-24-2007, 08:15 AM
teacherbull teacherbull is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
98 Blazer won't start

I have a 98 Blazer (4.3L V6) that wouldn't start for my wife several days ago. It would turn over, but not start. The fuel pump wasn't running so I switched the relay with the one for the AC. Still nothing, so I checked the fuse and it was fine. There was 12.5v on the battery,and I can't seem to find the red wire that's used for checking the fuel pump, so that wasn't done. I charged the battery just in case that was the problem, but the voltage didn't go up much.I figured it was probably the pump gone bad. I got the fuel tank down and checked the voltage to the pump - The wire that my diagram says is supposed to be the 12v source doesn't have any power, but the wire that is supposed to be fuel level sending unit has 5v when the key is on, and then goes off when the key is shut off. I put a voltmeter across where the 20a fuse is for the fuel pump (with the fuse out of it) and I get 12v. I was under the impression that this should read 0 when done. Does this tell me I have a short somewhere? If so can someone tell me if there are any usual culprits? I don't really think putting a new pump on is going to solve my problems, but if anyone else has any ideas, I'm open for input.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2007, 01:14 PM
DINO55's Avatar
DINO55 DINO55 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 571
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 98 Blazer won't start

Have you tried running a new 12v power source to your pump to see if it is the pump itself? also when you turn the key on, the fuel pump only runs for (2) seconds then stops.....
__________________
1998 BLAZER LS Vin-W 4Dr 2wd
2004 Cavalier LS 4Dr 2.2 Ecotec

"Good Part's ain't Cheap--Cheap Parts ain't Good"


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2007, 05:34 PM
old_master's Avatar
old_master old_master is offline
Advisor/Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 5,184
Thanks: 6
Thanked 103 Times in 95 Posts
Re: 98 Blazer won't start

In the underhood fuse panel, there is an empty, recessed terminal, just in front of the fuel pump relay. That terminal goes directly to the fuel pump. Install a fused jumper wire from battery positive to that terminal and the pump should run continously. Disconnect the connector from the fuel pump, and you should show battery voltage at the grey wire.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts