-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-15-2007, 08:44 AM
soccerman soccerman is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1998 Grand Am: Clearing the error codes

I have a 1998 Grand Am 2.4L and it recently threw a P0440 code which is an Evap system malfunction. I found a small hole in the fuel tank filler neck that I think was causing the problem. I patched it up and would like to reset the check engine light to see if it stays off (the light is actually preventing me from passing inspection). Is there a way to reset the codes without hooking the computer up to a diagnostic tool? I have read differing opininons about disconnecting the battery.
Thanks,
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2007, 07:10 PM
GTP Dad GTP Dad is offline
Pontiac Guy
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,441
Thanks: 2
Thanked 82 Times in 78 Posts
Re: 1998 Grand Am: Clearing the error codes

With OBD II computers you will need a scanner to reset the codes. Removing the battery cable won't reset the computer as it will retain the code. Find a friend with a scanner or take it to an autozone and have it cleared.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts