-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community
Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain Discuss Engine, Transmission, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Thor06's Avatar
Thor06 Thor06 is offline
Jizzed In My Pants
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
1g BOV modding question

Hey guys, I have a question about 1g BOV modding/crushing. First off, as some of you know I am going for the stock appearing look on my Talon and that is going to include the BOV even though I hope to be running some high-ish boost (17-20 lbs low/daily, 22-25 (?) high/track) on some corn fuel. More background on my plans: supra SMIC and hard pipes (painted inconspiculously of course) before I turn the boost past stock, probably a CO2 IC sprayer before I try the high boost action, and definately want to get better at tuning and have a good tune on low boost before I attempt the high boost. Also, I am shooting for whatever power I can make out of a stock appearing car, so that goes for turbo too. I am thinking about an Evo III 16g, a TD05H 20g, or thought I talk a lot of shit about them, a TD05H 18g.

Well, I was planning on crushing my 1g BOV to help handle the pressure of the low boost, but I heard they usually start to leak at like 22 lbs right? I was going to do this mod so I can handle the higher boost. What do you guys think about this mod? Apparently it loses its responsiveness, is that going to end up in some compressor surge? It is reversible so I think I am going to do it anyway and just use it on race day, but if its not going to hurt anything I may just do it that way all the time.

Kevin, your infinate wisdom would be much appreciated .

EDIT: Fuck the 18g. E316g's will flow 38-39 lbs/min and cost $560 new while the 18g's are $800 and only flow 40lbs/min. One lb/min is definately not worth $240.
__________________



Build on hold until I get a good paying job, either in school or once I get out. At that time a full tear down and complete rebuild should be in order.

The Purple People Eater will ride again... January 2011 can't come soon enough.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2007, 09:12 AM
SilvrEclipse's Avatar
SilvrEclipse SilvrEclipse is offline
Holset powered 420a
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,434
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse
Re: 1g BOV modding question

I think its a good idea if the bov is going to leak. Whats the worst that could happen, have to buy another one? And you can just leave that new port hooked up untill you turn up the boost controller.
__________________
98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2007, 11:18 PM
kjewer1 kjewer1 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,342
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 1g BOV modding question

Ah yes, the Gus mod. Gus Mahone was a local up here (CT). I talked with him extensively in the late 90s about this mod some time after he first introduced it. The short version is that I have been running a Gus modded BOV of one sort or another ever since.

I currently run one on the EVO. I planned to use DSMlink nitrous controls to control it, but ended up running nitrous. So when I get to the track I just pull that Gus line and stick a 10mm bolt in it. At one point I installed a 3 way hand valve, but it was a little restrictive and wasn't really ideal (a little BOV noise even with the GUS line plumbed in). If you set it up on a TPS based control system, it will be just as responsive as a stock BOV.

For reference, I ran over 30 psi on this BOV on the EVO. On the 2g I ran 35 before I eventually went to a Tial on the bigger setup.

You can also build the whole thing using 1/16th NPT fittings if you're a faster and fitting junky like me. More expensive, but the end result is much nicer and more robust.

I've posted in the past about how to properly crush a BOV using a vacuum hand pump, I'm sure that will turn up in a search if you haven't looked it up already.

Well worth the effort. It's cheap, and it just plain works.
__________________
Kevin Jewer
RWD Talon - 7.92 at 180
Mightymax - 10.7 at 125
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Thor06's Avatar
Thor06 Thor06 is offline
Jizzed In My Pants
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: 1g BOV modding question

Mmmmm, this is good to hear. I was a tick worried that it was sort of a half assed way to do it, but not anymore. I just cant wait to get my baby linked with a decent IC/fuel system!
__________________



Build on hold until I get a good paying job, either in school or once I get out. At that time a full tear down and complete rebuild should be in order.

The Purple People Eater will ride again... January 2011 can't come soon enough.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-26-2007, 02:03 PM
2.3L_turbo's Avatar
2.3L_turbo 2.3L_turbo is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 170
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1g BOV modding question

this answer my question too lol thanx
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts