-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 PM
plumbertom1 plumbertom1 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Idle problem

96 Turbo Cummins idles fine when driving around town but after a run at freeway speeds when it idles down it stalls out from to low an idle.
If I shift into neutral when I come to a stop a few times it seems to be ready to idle again.
I think It's likely to be a pump problem but I'm not sure if it's the transfer pump starving the injector pump or a faulty injector pump.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-01-2007, 06:17 PM
HEMIDAZE's Avatar
HEMIDAZE HEMIDAZE is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 225
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Idle problem

I have run into a couple of cases where the torque conveter clutch "sticks" and kills the motor when you slow down. Kind of like forgetting to press the clutch on a std transmission. See if you can disconnect it and try it.
__________________
HERS---> 2006 Grand Marquis GS (replaced my 1998 w/cracked manifold)
HIS----> 2003 Dodge 1500 HEMI QC 4X4
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-01-2007, 07:23 PM
plumbertom1 plumbertom1 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Idle problem

I have no idea how to go about that. I did have a heavy duty torque converter installed about 30,000 miles ago by Aamco along with a shift kit and a few other upgrades Dodge recomended during a rebuild.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2007, 04:22 AM
HEMIDAZE's Avatar
HEMIDAZE HEMIDAZE is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 225
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Idle problem

I can't help you on how to unhook it on your truck. Maybe someone else here can post. I'm sure the dealer could do it but doubt they will tell you how. My mom's new car developed a transmission shudder every now and then. She took it to the dealer 6 times and the last time they said they finally fixed it. I bought it off of her years later and while checking it out I found the torque converter clutch wire cut. What a great dealer. It only gains you about 1 MPG so I never fixed it. On her car it was a wire that went directly into the bell housing.
__________________
HERS---> 2006 Grand Marquis GS (replaced my 1998 w/cracked manifold)
HIS----> 2003 Dodge 1500 HEMI QC 4X4
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Chris Stewart's Avatar
Chris Stewart Chris Stewart is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,920
Thanks: 113
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Re: Idle problem

If it tries to keep pulling while killing the motor then a stuck torque converter clutch is suspect. If it's just trying to die, it may be something in the injector pump.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts