-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Y2KSVT Y2KSVT is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
255/45/17?

Hey guys, I know the 17" wheels are only 7.5" wide, but has anyone run a 255/45/17 tire on them? Surprisingly, I can get them cheaper than the stock 235/50/17 size. Just seeing if anyone else has run a 255 on these wheels, as I've seen a few running 245's.

Mark
__________________
2001 Lincoln LS8
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-18-2007, 10:26 PM
shorod's Avatar
shorod shorod is offline
SHO No Mo
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11,008
Thanks: 106
Thanked 359 Times in 350 Posts
Re: 255/45/17?

Don't know about running a 255 width tire on the 7.5 inch wheel. However, if you run a 255/45 in place of a 235/50, you have not "plus sized" correctly. To keep the speedometer/transmission/ABS/Traction Control functioning close to correctly, you should go with a 255/40.

Is the only reason you're considering the 255/45 due to cost? Seems like safety should be the primary concern.

-Rod
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Y2KSVT Y2KSVT is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 255/45/17?

shorod,
I think I'll have to correct you on that. A 40 series tire isn't going to be the correct height on a 255 width tire. The '40' designates the percentage of the width of the tire, in this case 255mm. For instance:

Stock: 235 x 50%(or .5) = 117.5mm
Upsize: 255 x 45%(or .45) = 114.75mm
Your suggestion: 255 x 40%(or .4) = 102mm

I called the local Discount Tire, and a 255/45/17 is a recommended size for a 17"x7.5" wheel, when the factory size is 235/50/17.

I ended up ordering some factory sized 235/50/17 Falken ZIEX ZE-512's. I've had a couple of sets of these tires on my old Contour SVT, and loved them. They were delivered today!

Mark
__________________
2001 Lincoln LS8
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2007, 03:15 PM
shorod's Avatar
shorod shorod is offline
SHO No Mo
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11,008
Thanks: 106
Thanked 359 Times in 350 Posts
Re: 255/45/17?

Doh, you're right. The information I was thinking of is for "plus one" sizing, going from a 17 inch wheel to an 18 inch wheel.

I understand the concept of the aspect ratio, I just should have done the math rather than relying on my memory.

Thank you for checking the information rather than taking it as gospel, and for providing the correction.

-Rod
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Y2KSVT Y2KSVT is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 255/45/17?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod
Doh, you're right. The information I was thinking of is for "plus one" sizing, going from a 17 inch wheel to an 18 inch wheel.

I understand the concept of the aspect ratio, I just should have done the math rather than relying on my memory.

Thank you for checking the information rather than taking it as gospel, and for providing the correction.

-Rod
Not a problem Rod! And thank you for not taking my correction, as me pointing my finger at you. Too many people on other forums who'd snap back, thinking I was trying to belittle them.

Mark
__________________
2001 Lincoln LS8
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts