-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Tatmoof Tatmoof is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stuck in Park

HELP PLEASE!!!

I have a 1994 Chevy 3500 that is attached to a 30 foot RV. It is stuck in park and I do not know what is wrong. I cannot find a manual for it. I am told it is too old for the auto parts stores to carry the manuals.

The vehicle has sat for about 8 months now and when it was backed in everything worked just fine!

PLEASE, if anyone knows where I should be looking to fix this I would very much appreciate it.

TM
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-28-2007, 08:34 PM
silicon212's Avatar
silicon212 silicon212 is offline
Confoundingly Lucid
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,904
Thanks: 6
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to silicon212
Re: Stuck in Park

Sounds like a shift handle-brake interlock is malfunctioning. On many vehicles, you have to press the brake pedal to shift out of park, and if the cable or other mechanism that enables this malfuctions, your transmission is stuck in park.

Something to look at, anyway.
__________________
1988 9C1 - Modified LM1 @ 275HP/350TQ - TH700R4 - 3.08 8.5" Disc Rear - see it at http://www.silicon212.org/9c1!
2005 Crown Vic P71 - former AZ DPS - 4.6 liters of pure creamy slothness!
1967 El Camino L79/M20 old school asphalt raper

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Tatmoof Tatmoof is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Stuck in Park

Yes, this is a vehicle that I have to press the brake pedal in before the shift lever will engage.

This is where I am stuck. Engine is running, brake pedal is depressed and gear shift lever will absolutely not move.

I think that I have located the problem, but I have no idea what the part is called. It appears that there is a piston type switch the when the brake pedal is depressed, sends a signal to the gear shift lever mechanism that is on a cable to allow the lever to move. The piston part rests against the upper part of the brake pedal right next to the steering column and has 2 sets of wire harnesses attached to it. The piston is not moving in and out.

I have taken this small plastic switch with the piston out of the vehicle and now I need to purchase a replacement part. I suppose I could take it to my local parts store and they will know what it is called???

Although I am not very mechanical in terms of knowing what stuff is called, I am pretty handy at being able to problem solve and use tools....not bad for a girl I guess.....LOL.

Any and all help is very appreciated and thanks for the first reply. Anyone else want to offer advice?

TM
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 AM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: Stuck in Park

Try jumping the contacts to see if the solenoid is energized and releases.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-29-2007, 10:43 AM
777stickman 777stickman is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,859
Thanks: 6
Thanked 92 Times in 91 Posts
Re: Stuck in Park

It's called the "Brake/Transmission Interlock". I think you can get the shift lever to move by trying this. Put the key in the ignition and turn it one click. You should be able to move the shift lever out of park. You'll need to move it to neutral to be able to start it.

If replacing the interlock does't fix it then the problem is probably in the ignition switch mechanism that physically locks the lever in park when you remove the key.

Let us know what happens.
__________________
57 Chevy 210
65 Olds 442 Convertible (Another one sold)
75 GMC Vandura 3/4 Ton
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts