-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-08-2002, 10:09 AM
stevewhitacre stevewhitacre is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1990 Towncar starts then stalls

I live in Florida and I have a 1990 Lincoln Continental Towncar and in the mornings when the car is cold the car either won't start or if it does start it will stall and then after that it won't restart at all. If I wait 15 to 30 minutes it might start for a second or so but stalls again. If the day warms up enough then the problem lessens. I mean by that, that the car starts easier may even still stall but I can usually get it running and when the engine gets warm then the car seems to work normally the rest of the day. I can shut it off. I can restart and no problem. Problem seems to only be 1st time during the morning when it is relatively cool.

I don't know if this is related or not but while driving down the road yesterday, while the car had been on the road for at least 15 minutes, driving about 40 mph, the car engine seemed to stall but then started before I came to a stop without having to use the starter.

Can you help me troubleshoot this problem?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-30-2004, 01:39 AM
Lincoln_Lover Lincoln_Lover is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1990 Towncar starts then stalls

It could be one of the following:
-Carberator, fuel injection or engine system controls malfunctioning
-Discharged or low battery
-Fuel not reaching carberator or fuel injectors
-defective spark plugs
-defective engine coolant temperature sensor

Good Luck,
JR
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-13-2004, 01:31 AM
92 Arizona Towncar 92 Arizona Towncar is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check that your PCV valve is workign properly... Simply take it out of the grommet on the valve cover and shake it... If it rattles, it's good, if not, replace it... Also check that the PCV hose is not plugged... to check that, turn on the car, and while the car is running, take out the PCV valve while it is still attached to the hose and put your thumb over the opening... If you feel a suction, it's ok, if not, the hose is plugged and needs to be replaced...
Good Luck
__________________
1992 Jack Nickalaus Signature Series
253,00+ miles
White Exterior
Green carpeting, White leather seating
"Golden Bear" logo

I've gone to look for myself... If I should return before I get back, keep me here!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2004, 12:07 PM
D-Ice D-Ice is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1990 Towncar starts then stalls

I have a problem like that... I start it and I think it's because my a/c is stuck on (the button broke) and if I dont give it some extra juice (step on the gas, not to hard) until it warms up it will stall... sometimes it does it and sometimes it dosent.... but it will always start.

Just though I tell you that lol

Mine is also a 90 has 108miles on it
__________________


Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1990 Pontiac 6000, Starts then stalls elmo1945 6000 15 06-30-2013 12:53 AM
96 achieva starts then stalls busapilot Achieva 1 12-24-2010 07:03 PM
Car Starts then stalls and POP! lixar420 Venture 21 01-09-2010 03:30 PM
99 GTP starts and then stalls buckeyeguy Grand Prix 2 03-16-2009 07:38 AM
95 Taurus Start then stall then start tarynnsmom2 Taurus | Taurus Wagon 14 03-31-2007 11:03 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Lincoln > Town Car


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts