|
|
| Search | Car Forums | Gallery | Articles | Helper | Air Dried Fresh Beef Dog Food | IgorSushko.com | Corporate |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Popping and clunking
Ive got a 94 grand am gt 3.1L.
Since it was bought with 130K and now has 170k it has had new front struts, new rear shocks, Starter, ac clutch, engine mount and alternator. Recently I had to replace the lower intake gaskets, I went ahead and changed the head gaskets, valve seals and all upper gaskets along the way. Im driving it more now that I reinherited it, and the clunking is bothersome. Ive got a pretty loud clunking when going over bumps. The last clunking it had was the engine mount had completely worn down and clunking on bumps. I had planned to replace the lower ball joints although I dont see any play in them. Also have a popping when you turn the steering wheel back and forth. Ive watched for play in the tie rod ends but also dont see any . Its more like its coming from beneath the brake booster so I cant see whats under there. Are these some common wear issues/problems on the grands?
__________________
--------------- 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6 4.0 - 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear - ES9000 Shocks - Gas/TC/Front Skids - Front/Rear Tow Points - 242TC (Swapped from bad 231) Nearing 260K Miles 1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT V6 3.1L - Stock - 170K Miles Last edited by Grand94AMGT; 06-13-2007 at 01:52 PM. |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: Popping and clunking
i just had to replace my front sway bar bolts yesterday. The left front rusted completely through but was still sitting in place so I didnt notice it was broken until i accidentally bumped it. That caused a lot of clunks and pops when I went over bumps as well. Primarily when turning over bumps under 5 mph. So you might want to take a look at those.
__________________
|
|
#3
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Popping and clunking
The control arm bushings can cause some clunking when they are bad.
Also the bolts holding the rack n pinion can break or become loose and cause rattles. You'll definatly need to get it checked over on a lift, or at least with the wheels off the ground, and should be able to find the troublesome rattles.
__________________
1999 Grand Am SS 3.4 OHV
|
|
#4
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Popping and clunking
If i may add, i cant think of the name of it, but on top of the shocks there is something that turnes, it has bearings in the middle and plastic/metel on the outside. whet ever that is called, that could be it. This was it for my Alero.
|
|
#5
|
||||
|
||||
|
Re: Popping and clunking
Yea vamc that would be the spring seat and bearing plate.
Both can go bad and make noise's.
__________________
1999 Grand Am SS 3.4 OHV
|
|
![]() |
POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD |
![]() |
|
|