-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-26-2007, 09:02 AM
society909 society909 is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no brake lights

I just bouhgt a 2001 Dodge ram 3500 diesel pickup on the way home someone told me I had no brake lights so I stoped at Autozone and bought a brake light switch but it didn't help. All of the bulbs are good, I checked all of the fuses and relays I could find, all good. Than I found when I push the lever over on the trailer brake unit they came on, but they wont come on when I hit the prake pedal. Is this unit bad or what?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Chris Stewart's Avatar
Chris Stewart Chris Stewart is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,920
Thanks: 113
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Re: no brake lights

Try this,
INSTALLATION
(1) Connect harness wires to new switch.
(2) Press and hold brake pedal down.
(3) Install switch. Align tabs on switch with
notches in switch bracket (Fig. 3). Then insert switch
in bracket and turn it clockwise approximately 30° to
lock it in place.
(4) Release brake pedal. Then move the release
lever on the switch to engage the switch plunger. The
switch is now adjusted and can not be adjusted
again.
(5) Install the knee bolster.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-26-2007, 05:02 PM
society909 society909 is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no brake lights

I already did all that as I said in my first post, but it didnt fix the problem. I know how to replace a brake light switch, but that wasn't the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-26-2007, 11:47 PM
NocturnalCreations's Avatar
NocturnalCreations NocturnalCreations is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 147
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: no brake lights

Sounds like someone missed hooking up a wire. I would just hook the switched brake light wire from the switch directly to the brake light wire. Im not sure exactly how the whole trailer brake thing works but it sounds like the switched wire from the brake light switch goes to the trailer brake first and then to the brake lights. So it would be like making a jumper wire to bypass the trailer brake but the function of the trailer brake would stay the same. Or maybe the trailer brake unit is bad or missing a wire.

Im just guessing because I dont know exactly what the other brake component is.
__________________


97 Seville STS
95 Lumina about to get a 3.8 supercharged
97 Mustang 3.8
06 Charger RT 5.7
Check out the 1 of a kind whips
http://www.cardomain.com/id/NoctrnlCreations
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Chris Stewart's Avatar
Chris Stewart Chris Stewart is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,920
Thanks: 113
Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
Re: no brake lights

Yup, kinda looks like the controller is keeping the brake light circuit open if the new switch was adjusted when it was installed.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts