-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-17-2007, 05:41 PM
ksfarmgirl ksfarmgirl is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
price of an engine?

I have learned quite a bit in the last couple of years about my car, but obviously not enough. I have an 83' Trans Am Firebird with a 4-bolt main, 350 HO, 4 barrell Holley, Edelbrock engine cover and air cleaner, a racing cam, 5-speed with t-tops, an awesome cd/stereo system and a 411 Posi-track. However, for the life of me, I cannot get anyone to tell me what it is worth. I know the car itself isn't worth much, however, I have been told a 4 bolt main is rare and I know the racing engine with the 411 isn't a bad combination either. Also, it was all rewired last year. If anyone might have any idea how much it is worth as a whole, or even just the engine and rear end, and you would be willing to share, that would be lovely. Thank you in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2007, 01:15 AM
hotrod_chevyz's Avatar
hotrod_chevyz hotrod_chevyz is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,726
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: price of an engine?

$1,500.00 - $10,000.00 depending on overall condition. Some pics of it would help estimate its value. $1,500.00 would be one in fair condition with a good v-8. $10,000.00 would be all original with no flaws.

Check out ebay, you can get an idea of what its worth. Since i have one ive researched it some. Mines is in rough condition, when i first put a motor in it(4bm 350) I laughed at a $1,500.00 offer as i have more than that in the engine and trans.

BTW the motor is about $1,500.00 to have built starting with nothing, the rear axle is worth $150.00 if its posi. You can find a good condition body for around $500.00.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2007, 01:30 AM
silicon212's Avatar
silicon212 silicon212 is offline
Confoundingly Lucid
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,904
Thanks: 6
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to silicon212
Re: price of an engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmgirl
I have learned quite a bit in the last couple of years about my car, but obviously not enough. I have an 83' Trans Am Firebird with a 4-bolt main, 350 HO, 4 barrell Holley, Edelbrock engine cover and air cleaner, a racing cam, 5-speed with t-tops, an awesome cd/stereo system and a 411 Posi-track. However, for the life of me, I cannot get anyone to tell me what it is worth. I know the car itself isn't worth much, however, I have been told a 4 bolt main is rare and I know the racing engine with the 411 isn't a bad combination either. Also, it was all rewired last year. If anyone might have any idea how much it is worth as a whole, or even just the engine and rear end, and you would be willing to share, that would be lovely. Thank you in advance for any help.
Depends on what's in it and how it's built. Most of the 4 bolt engines come out of trucks - that was certainly the case with mine. The real difference in the blocks on these 350s is basically extra holes drilled in the webbing. Most 2 bolt 350 engines can be converted to 4 bolt using aftermarket caps (these tend to have splayed outer bolts, which make them much stronger than factory 4 bolt engines).

Getting back to the question at hand, I spent about $2400 to build my engine, 14 years ago (1993). The heads and block were given to me - the money went to machining and parts. Figure, for my build, a cost of about $2600-2800 today for the same build. Then again, this build has 277k miles on it now, which is perhaps a little overkill for most. You can get away with a decent build for around $1000-$1500 with a two bolt block converted to 4 bolt main caps.

An engine with a good mileage count on it (including mine) isn't worth much more than core value, even if it's running exceptionally well (again, mine) this engine core value is generally around $200-300.
__________________
1988 9C1 - Modified LM1 @ 275HP/350TQ - TH700R4 - 3.08 8.5" Disc Rear - see it at http://www.silicon212.org/9c1!
2005 Crown Vic P71 - former AZ DPS - 4.6 liters of pure creamy slothness!
1967 El Camino L79/M20 old school asphalt raper

Remember - a government that is strong enough to give you everything you need, is also strong enough to take everything you have.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts