-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-22-2007, 09:01 AM
jabenflea jabenflea is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 Taurus Transmission issue???

I have a 2002 Taurus - automatic. I was on the turnpike going about 75 when it just seemed to stop driving. When I pressed the gas, the rpms would go up, but it wouldn't kick in. I tried to set the cruise control but that only made it rev up. I pulled over and turned the car off. Turned it back on and put it in drive - nothing happened. reverse, same, d2 & d1 the same.

Before I take it in, I'd like to know... does this mean the transmission is out or could it be something else to do with the transmission??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2007, 05:56 PM
shorod's Avatar
shorod shorod is offline
SHO No Mo
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 11,008
Thanks: 106
Thanked 359 Times in 350 Posts
Re: 2002 Taurus Transmission issue???

Not necessarily, you could also have a very bad halfshaft (aka: driveshaft) or possibly a faulty input or output shaft speed sensor. I wouldn't count on that though.

Have you pulled the transmission dipstick and checked the condition and level of the transmission fluid?

-Rod
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2007, 07:08 PM
jabenflea jabenflea is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 2002 Taurus Transmission issue???

Yes, the transmission fluid wasn't low and looked good. Just had the car checked out back in September when the AC clutch was making an awful noise.

I spoke with the mechanic today and he seemed definite that it would be the transmission? I didn't think it was normal for the transmission to just go out like this. There were no warning signs.

If it is the transmission, what is a decent cost on replacing?

Thanks for the input
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Huney1 Huney1 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 975
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: 2002 Taurus Transmission issue???

I imagine they'd have to pull the tranny so go ahead and rebuild it. From what I know, $1500. or thereabouts. GET A WARRANTY IN WRITING! Info about rebuilds, etc: http://www.edwardstransmissions.com/faqs.htm
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts