-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-15-2007, 11:28 AM
drmrjohn drmrjohn is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electrical problems 93 transport.3.8 ltr

Hello, I was out canvassing for the Kidney Foundation when i noticed a burned wire smell inside the van(only thing running at the time was heater)-I then heard the heater fan was not running right(making a squeeking clicking noise) so I shut it down right away (it does have bad high speed relay just havn't had a chance to change yet) anyways-the smell went away and everything was good-I just stopped using the front heater fan, then I started to get an interferance noise out of the radio (high pitch whining/buzzing noise that matches revvs on the engine) and the ABS light stayed on-Then yesterday as I was driving the interferance noise became louder and started to make a buzz noise on and off -then the van started to buck a bit but I drove home and put it in park-then was trying to rev it up but it was acting sluggish and the tach indicator needle was going the wrong way and pinning down at the bottom-I shut it off right away and left it-I came back after awhile (pulled the heater fuse) and it started right up and ran ok(but the heater could still be turned on with fuse out) I then turned it off and it wouldnt start again as the battery was not strong enough-any Ideas? I can put a multi meter inbetween the batt post and connector and pull fuses to see what circuit may be bad-but any other suggestions? This van was working so very good and I hate to scrap it over this-any way to check the charging system to see if it is working right now? Thanks guys any assistance would be awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
LMP's Avatar
LMP LMP is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,284
Thanks: 7
Thanked 76 Times in 75 Posts
Re: Electrical problems 93 transport.3.8 ltr

First suspicion is alternator failure, a common problem. If you can start it again, check voltage : it should read around 14.2 or slightly more when cold. Most symptoms you decribe are relevant of low system voltage. I think you have at least one open diode in the alternator. IN any case, an easy check before looking for more complicated...there is ample time left to come to that....
__________________
'93 Ponty Transport 3.8; 2011 SUzuki SX4 AWD (wife's) ; 2015 Sorento 2.4 AWD 1928 Graham Paige Model 629
I don't believe in miracles.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts